Will better speaker wire improve sound of Klpisch Promedia?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macuserx86, Apr 21, 2009.

1. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I've seen things both ways: some say, don't waste your money, others say best purchase ever.
    A bloke on ebay offers custom made 16ga wires for the Promedia GMX 2.1 system for around $20 (after shipping) so it's not terribly expensive.
    I just want to know:
    Will it improve the sound of my speakers
    and
    will it help shield from the annoying GSM buzz?

Thanks in advance! :D

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

With no specifics, convienience seems about it, particularly if the ends are pre-terminated. :)

Just make sure you use the correct gauge for the length of each run. There's wire charts to be found, if you need help (say a particularly long run). ;)

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I would say DIY your own 14 gauge wire for optimal quality.

4. macuserx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

5. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Definitely can't hurt. The 22 awg the speakers ship with is pretty sonically pathetic. I'd upgrade.

6. macuserx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Thanks mate! I don't really know anything about sound so your help is appreciated!

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

22 awg is truly sad, but even 16 is likely more than is necessary. The amp in it isn't an arc welder. ;) :p

That said, welding cable makes wonderful speaker cable. :D

8. macuserx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

lol, don't give me ideas like that, I've been known to get extreme with my engineering... or lack thereof ;)

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

You could use a pair of coat hangers and I doubt you could ever hear the difference.

Have a read about Monster Cable Myths

10. Locoweed macrumors member

In all of the blind tests I have read, there was no noticeable improvement. Fancy cables will thin down your wallet, saving you trips to the chiropractor for a misaligned spine from setting on a too fat wallet. :D

11. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I had noticeable hiss that went away when I replaced the stock cables with 14 gauge speaker wire. Generic wire of course.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Buying shielded wires could make a definite difference. Also, if there is a hiss, make sure your wires are not running parallel to any power cords.

13. macuserx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Well, considering most of the evidence now points to it being a waste of money, I won't upgrade my speaker wire. I listen to music with headphones mostly anyway.:cool:

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can buy an external sound card. It'll improve the sound if you have a good system / headphones.

15. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

If the wires are carrying the actual signals out of the power amp to the speakers (as opposed to carrying line level audio to powered speakers), shielding will not make any difference. Speaker wires do not pick up noise. When you run the kind of power required to drive speakers into such a low impedance load, you just don't pick up noise.

The cables that require shielding are any that carry line level signals, such as RCA cables used to connect a CD player to a receiver. If these cables are cheap (or too long), you can pick up noise.

With speaker cables, the most important thing is to make sure that the gauge is heavy enough for the distance you're running them. There are some people who feel that braided copper wire (such as used in lamp cord) can adversely affect your sound quality. I've never found that to be the case and just buy 16 gauge lamp cord for my speaker wire.