Will buyers of Core2Duo iMac get free upgrade to Leopard?

auyongtc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
I really wonder.. since the core benefit (pun intended) is the 64-bitness goodness. And Tiger doesn't make use of it - so will Apple give free upgrade to Leopard for this when it's released next year? Or not? :confused:

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
auyongtc said:
I really wonder.. since the core benefit (pun intended) is the 64-bitness goodness. And Tiger doesn't make use of it...
Tiger DOES make some use of 64-bit, just not to the extent that Leopard will.
auyongtc said:
...so will Apple give free upgrade to Leopard for this when it's released next year? Or not? :confused:
Not.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Can I nominate this for the dumbest question ever award?

Seriously though. 64-bit doesnt change that much. Besides if you remember the G5 was 64-bit. So the 64-bit portion has been in OSX for quite sometime.

Leopard will utilize that, but you aint getting it free.

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
hahahaha thats like asking will powermac g5 users get a free mac pro :p

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Apple is probably announcing the Leopard release date about 2 months before they launch it. My guess would be all new computer purchases after that release date announcement will get to buy a free update (they want to charge for postage).

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Generally if there is a major OS update within 60-90 days of your purchase
Apple may allow you to purchase an update DVD for a nominal fee like $19.95

Once Leopard is released, Apple will publish the details on who is and who
is not eligable for the less expensive update.

I'll be doomed to buying the family pack.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
eidrunner247 said:
obviously... it's 64 bit right? :).

Maybe i can get leopard for half price, seeing as my powerbook is 32 bit...
Maybe, that would make it double the price since it takes twice as long to process 64-bits on a G4.

I don't see Apple offering Mac OS X of any sort for free when it has yet to be released. Even the Up-to-date discs had a hefty price for shipping and handling. Of course, it's possible they could offer some for free, if they raised the price to maybe $299?

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
auyongtc said:
I really wonder.. since the core benefit (pun intended) is the 64-bitness goodness. And Tiger doesn't make use of it - so will Apple give free upgrade to Leopard for this when it's released next year? Or not? :confused:
not unless you buy it next year