Will buying the next gen iPad cause me to lose my unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pipper99, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I have the 3G iPad with the grandfathered unlimited data plan. Does the unlimited plan apply only to my current iPad, or will it transfer over to a new iPad. I'm thinking that the plan is specific to the device rather than the customer.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No one really knows. FWIW, I was an original iPhoen owner and was able to keep my unlimited plan when I moved to the iPhone 4.

3. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

Did you buy your iPad subsidized?

Can't you just put your micro sim from your old iPad into the new iPad and keep on rocking?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No. It's linked to your account via the sim card, so you just need to switch the sim card over.

Same as with iPhone. You don't lose your unlimited data when upgrading.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

I wouldn't be so quick to reach that conclusion.

6. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

When I upgraded my iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4, I didn't lose unlimited data. Now if I want to use their tethering though, I would. So no tethering for me (unless i do it via jb).

I got an iPad too late to qualify for the unlimited though. :/ I would guess, as the others say, you can just swap out the SIM, but we won't know for sure until iPad2 comes out (April?).

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Why, sounds exactly like how it works with phones??? He's right....I have friends who have had iPads, sold them, kept the sim, got new ipads, still had unlimited data(they never dropped the account kept paying 'cuz they wanted unlimited) so long as you dont drop unlimited, you'll be fine....

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But in that case, both the old and new iPads are first gen. Who knows, AT&T might devise a way to tell when you swap the SIM into a second gen iPad, and take away your unlimited plan when they find that you are using second gen. I'm not saying they would do that, but we won't know until the second gen is out.

9. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Well it's AT&T and they have your nuts in a salad shooter and will do as they please, no predicting what they will do but no doubt they can drop your unlimited if you switch. Just depends on how they are feeling that day.

I'm just thankful the thing is unlocked and you can dump them if you want. I really hope data only plans become more prevalent though, that's about the only thing holding us back. I'm really interested in the Europe trend to have subsidized iPads because that means lots of carriers having data only plans available, hopefully that catches on here with things like the galaxy tab.

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Not for nothing but that's not how it will work, you're grasping but whatever.....at&t may be dumb in most peoples eyes, but they wont screw people like that, especially if they keep to continue their data plans...i got an entirely new sime for my iP4 yet kept my unlimited, if you have it and pay for it they wont take it away....good luck

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

Phones are on a contract, iPads are month-to-month and modifiable at will. AT&T can't force you out of unlimited on a contract. What they do on the iPad is up to them. It's reckless to say "it'll be fine..." when all AT&T has said on the matter is iPads on the unlimited plan will continue to remain on the unlimited plan. They mad no representation that you can use it for the rest of your natural life. Just until they change their minds.

12. Pipper99 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I had forgotten about swapping out the sim card: hopefully that's all that's needed. :eek:

13. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Wouldn't this be the same case as if Apple sends you a warranty replacement iPad? There's no valid reason to loose your Unlimited Plan just because it had to be replaced. If you keep your SIM Card, your plan should continue, wouldn't it?

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't think so. Warranty replacements, the "new" unit is the same model as the old one. Going from the first gen to the second gen is changing models. AT&T sold you the unlimited data plan to go with the first gen. They may decide, for whatever reason, to let you keep the plan on the second gen, but I don't see any reason why they should be obligated to do so.

15. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

That is ridiculous.

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

Not at all. You have no contract for lifetime unlimited data. It's entirely at AT&T's pleasure. If they say "iPad 2 has a new pricing scheme" you have no recourse.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Exactly. For that matter, they could say, "We are discontinuing all unlimited data plans for iPad first gen, effective immediately," and we'd have no recourse.

18. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Sure you do, just stop using them and live with wifi only. Not that it would ever happen but if enough folks just opted out of the thing then they would either chnage or fold.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

True. I mean, they did fold in a way by grandfathering the unlimited data plan for people who already had it. But here, we are mostly talking about being able to extend the unlimited plan to second gen iPad. I think AT&T would do whatever they can to keep people from doing that, as long as they can get away without inciting a popular uprising.

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

Hey, anyone who's been on this forum for any length of time knows how easy it would be for 10 million iPad users to agree to anything.

21. r2fa3l macrumors regular

and they can watch the line of people going to verizon :D

22. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Well considering you nor me have any inside info, we should just both zip it :D

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Does Verizon have an unlimited data plan for the iPad?

24. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

No, you have to get a bundled MyFi plan w/ the iPad

25. poloponies macrumors 68030

I chimed in initially just to point out that nobody should automatically assume that the unlimited plan will follow to iPad 2.

Then I pointed out why.