Will Cellular Model of IPP Download iCloud Photo Library Photos over Cellular Connection?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ScottC7, Nov 21, 2015.

1. ScottC7 macrumors regular

ScottC7

So I'm sitting here at a Starbucks, trying to edit photos on my Wifi iPad Pro. The process is painful, however, because I have to be on a Wifi network to get them to download, and the Starbucks Wifi is brutally slow. I can't use the Hotspot feature of my iPhone 6S Plus, either...the iPad Pro doesn't seem to recognize it as a bona fide Wifi connection for the purpose of downloading the photos.

With that in mind, if I had the Wifi + Cellular model of the iPad Pro, would I be able to download my photos from iCloud Photo Library onto my iPad Pro via LTE/Cellular?

I've found one post that seems to indicate the answer may be "yes", if I turn on Cellular Data in the iCloud Drive settings menu. But I'd like confirmation, because if so, I might exchange this iPad Pro model for one with the Cellular radio in it.

Thanks!

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

I'm assuming all you get is a thumbnail when you try to open a picture? On cellular models, you have a menu that lets you choose what apps get to use cellular data. You would just turn this on.

3. Scuba-EMT macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

Absolutely, my IPhoto is updating just fine over cell, and an academic reference program I use has downloaded over 20 GB of PDFs over the cell connection, I do not even have WiFi enable on my Pro. But I have AT&T unlimited so I have no concern over data charges. Depending on what your doing and how often, it could get expensive. There are posts in this forum for folks selling their AT&T unlimited plans.
    Cheers

4. ScottC7 thread starter macrumors regular

ScottC7

That's cool; thanks for the help. Currently, my iCloud Photo Library will only update (upload photos to other devices) when I am on Wifi, and having the option to engage cellular data transfer would have been awesome today. Waiting for the full photo to download onto my device, over Starbucks' Wifi, was quite painful! I could have been done in 1/3 the time if I had cellular capability.