Will China Invade North Korea And Take Its nuke Facilities?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Sep 16, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

That's the question that Newsweek is asking and one I think is a not unreasonable solution to the Kim regime's continued antagonism of SoKo and the West. China's involvement is crucial to any long term solution on the peninsula and their active involvement would be a godsend. IMO one of the best solutions would be the removal of Kim by the PRC and a serious move to actively reunify the peninsula. If war was to break out I don't see China involving themselves this go around, (as Newsweek points out). They have no will to prop up the current Marxist regime, given their past actions. I'd certainly like to see them become more active in creating a long lasting solution.

www.newsweek.com/will-china-invade-north-korea-and-take-its-nuclear-facilities-665008

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

In exchange for the US stopping their military activity in the area? Possibly.

3. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

If the Kim regime was gone and reunification with SoKo was underway, there would be no need for the US to station troops there any longer. It would be a win/win for us.

4. niploteksi macrumors regular

Dream on. That's not going to happen.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This would only happen is the US explicitly states that if NK attacks SK, Japan, or other US allies/bases with WMD (not just nukes), then the US will treat the attack as though it arose from the PRC and retaliate accordingly. This was Kennedy's solution to the Cuban missile crisis, and it is the only way other than banning PRC imports that the US can make the PRC pay for its support of the fat dictator. It would be a dangerous gamble, but I honestly don't see any other way right now of resolving this that does not involve the US striking first, which I'd rather we not do.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Are you sure we'd leave? I'm not.

7. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

First, I can't imagine China being interested in doing such a thing.

Second, I don't trust China could operationally accomplish this swiftly enough to prevent NOKO from retaliating.

Third, once Kim is toppled a new interim government must be immediately established to prevent a catastrophic breakdown in law and social order similar to what happened in Iraq. I imagine a precarious country already suffering a shortage of food, pubic services, and electricity could easily collapse into chaos, rioting, and looting. How existing local authorities might react is scary. It could result in a bloodbath.

No, I don't see China trying to bite into this. I think they'll probably continue to placate Kim.

8. 0007776 Suspended

A threat like that would only work if Trump hadn't already set and ignored red lines. China wouldn't worry about him at all.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Yeah China - a country that was influencing the region two thousand years before the Americans decided that they needed America - really base their military options on the rethoric of a President of the United States says. Sure.

10. niploteksi macrumors regular

Seriously? No. It's not the same as the Cuban crisis at all. I don't understand what you guys are getting all this from.

I read the original article on USIP.

https://www.usip.org/publications/2017/09/chinas-evolving-north-korea-strategy

To think you could threaten China into aggression against North Korea is just silly and it's not in China's foreign policy to invade other countries.

11. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

While China would surely win that war, what has it to win/loose?

- 6-8 figure of Chinese soldiers and civilians (depending on wether Kim uses his nukes) killed
    - similar amount of NKs killed
    - being responsible as a occupation force for one of the poorest and most brainwashed populations in the world
    - loosing a diplomatic gambling bit

12. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Not sure at all, but there'd be no logical reason for us to stay, unless we were going to make a thing of China bordering the new Korea. I see no reason for that to be the case, as we don't occupy other country's that border China.

13. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yeah... China just told the US to quit threatening NK, so this is all working well, eh? Kim fires missiles over Japan, we tell him to cut it out, China tells us to work harder at diplomacy, Russia chimes in and says yeah and do some direct negotiations, SK says this is not the time for that.

14. Zenithal macrumors G3

There's no logical reason for being in the Philippines and Japan, but we're still there 70 years later. Take away the US and you lose American influence in the region. Besides, we have troops everywhere nowadays. It shortens our response time by a large fraction.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

16. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yes and I'm sure in China's also warning NK, they are at least being paid some attention. China can decide to help North Koreans stay warm over winter, or let the chips fall where they may with sanctions. There's more discretion on fuel export to NK than on other trade but the nearest willing source of fuel is China.

17. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Tell that to India, Vietnam, and Tibet.

19. niploteksi macrumors regular

That's protectionism and helping out neighbors.

20. Bubble99 macrumors 6502

No, If North Korea gets more crazy than they are now!!! China will just not trade with them and close the border.

China will never go to war with North Korea. But China also does not want North Korea to be part of South Korea that is pro US.