Will connecting a 5K monitor hit the performance of 13' nMBP with touch bar?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by otakustay, Dec 4, 2016.

1. otakustay macrumors newbie

otakustay

I recently bought a 13' nMBP with touchbar (i5 2.9GHz / 16GB RAM), I also decided to have a LG Ultrafine 5K monitor to play with it, my concern is whether connecting to this 5K monitor could hit the performance of nMBP, could it be somewhat laggy or slow when browsing many tabs in Chrome and have some CPU centric compile work in the terminal?

I don't have any requirement to play game with it, browsing, coding (with sublime text) and compiling (webpack) is the most frequent usecase

2. analyticsDS macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I had the exact same question! And have an eerily similar build (13" rMBPtb w. 16gb RAM) and use case; want to know if pairing the machine with 5k ultra fine will result in acceptable performance with "normal" usage scenarios (a few tabs open, atom code editor, terminal, Spotify) without experiencing slowdowns.

Hoping someone can answer our Qs. And that Apple replenishes stock of the LG 5k ultra fines asap.

3. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I was thinking of running dual 5k monitors with my 15" so I'm curious as well

4. inmotionnow macrumors regular

Apple specs says that 13" is able to run both the 13" native retina display + 5K at the same time so I would assume no lag. I'm planning on using mine in clamshell mode with the 27".

Attached Files:

5. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Games and other heavy 3D work I suspect will lag (that's a lot of pixels for the iGPU to push) but for non-3D work I suspect it'll be just fine. And certainly won't affect CPU-bound things like web page rendering or compiling code.

6. mikemike690 macrumors regular

mikemike690

I'm curious too, thinking of ordering a 15" variant

7. samcow macrumors regular

Yea same question, will be interesting to see reviews. The LG 4k works great, I have Windows 10 in vmware running on the monitor presently and everything is smooth. I'm hopeful about the 5k, and may return this by the early January date if reviews look good.

8. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

You will encounter some UI stuttering, especially if you are using a scaled resolution.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Have you tested a 2016 13" MBP with a 5k monitor?

10. scott_donald macrumors member

thats what i was thinking....

11. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Not with 5k, a 30" at 2560x1600 though I doubt more resolution would mean better performance. Anyway stuttering may not be the right word but you can tell the framerate drops for certain UI functions (like mission control). This is with a scaled resolution on the 13". It is better when running native.