Will deleting an app downloaded from iTunes remove all terms and agreements?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Aug 16, 2013.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

After downloading the TextMe app, I only then read the reviews. It turns out by agreeing to the terms and conditions, it stores your messages, tracks your activity and personal information, at it says, it can share it with any third party they please.

So my question is, I immediately deleted the app after registering my email and creating a user profile. By deleting this app, does this dis-allow them to STOP sharing any information and will this prevent any of my personal data to be stored by them to share with any third party?

It did say, after I deleted the app, that it would remove all data associated with TextMe app on my iPhone.

Is this safe proof or is there another method to ensure I have no further ties to this app?

Thank you!

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Yes there's a high chance that your information will still be stored in their server, even after you've deleted the app. The data will be removed from the device but that's pretty much it.

Those texting apps aren't very secure either. I only use them for Craig's List and such.

3. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Okay thanks. Do they take everything - phone contacts, text messages, and photos.

I looked through what I had on my Iphone, and nothing private. I do delete all my texts at the end of the day so I only had a few texts from family members. None of my texts are private matters. By deleting the TextMe app, does this still allow them to have access to my phone?

4. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

But they wouldn't be allowed to access new data from hereon, is that correct, since I deleted the app? Or is there still some hidden file that can track additional information I decide to store?

5. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I think I may be fine after all. So I just checked my email and Textme sent me an email with a link to complete the registration. I did not link to it nor do I plan on completing the registration, so I should be good right?

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

6. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Once deleted, the app wouldn't still collect information and send it in.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

You READ the Terms of Agreement? :eek: You are the better man than the 95% of us, who just sign on the dotted line!

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm pretty sure they would only have access to texts you sent from within the app.

9. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I appreciate your reply. As soon as I downloaded the app and "tried" to send my first text, it wouldn't send it, I noticed too that my contacts were sync to the TextMe app. The text I wanted to send was never sent, because (I later realized) I was required to link to a hyperlink in an email they sent me to complete the registration, which I did not do. I assume this is what activates the app similar to when you join MacRumors. You must activate your membership by confirming the email they send you.

So I was curious, by not completing the registration, if this app was even activated even though it was downloaded (and immediately deleted)?

----------

I read the reviews for this app and this one person mentioned the terms and agreements in his review. He deleted the app immediately as soon as he read it.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

My guess is no, although I don't think there is anyway of knowing for sure short of asking the developers.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Have you thought about contacting the App company and ask for your info to be deleted.

12. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

You mean calling TextMe directly or the App Store? Could this even be possible. I guess i can try. I've never heard of this and don't expect to even get a live person to even care for the matter.

13. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I'm pretty sure phone carriers also save your text messages so you might as well say you're not safe from anyone when dealing with the Internet

But they should only be able to save texts that you sent using their app and now that you've deleted the app, they can NOT collect any more information from you

14. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I would have thought that they have some form of IT support via a link or contact online address.

Its just a thought.

15. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Yeah I've heard of this, which I understand why you see these celebrities and politician's texts resurface years later due to indiscretion.

I deleted the app immediately as soon as I downloaded it, so I know they were able to collect my contacts since it was being used by TextMe at my attempt at making that first text. I was just curious and questioning if during those few seconds if they were able to collect photos and other data I had? As mentioned, I didn't complete the registration by addressing the email they sent me, so I think I'm good.

Thanks.

----------

I'll try it tomorrow to see how far I got with them. Much appreciated.

----------

LOL - Thanks.