Will developers be lazy and not update their apps to the new iPhone 5 resolution?

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I've gotten a couple of apps that have updated to the new resolution (kindle & flashcards deluxe), but for the most part apps are staying the same and letterboxed :(

Do you think there are a lot of applications out there where the developer is lazy and just won't update them?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I don't think it's a case of being lazy, it's a case of:

a) Developers needing time to work on making their apps fit the iPhone 5 screen

b) Developers no longer supporting their Apps

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Do you think there are a lot of applications out there where the developer is lazy and just won't update them?
I would say that is an unfair characterization
I just think it will take time for everyone to get on board
It isn't necessarily a quick fix in every case, and we don't know all of the particulars for each app and developer

I would say give them the benefit of the doubt at this point

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
It's funny how people are expecting apps to change over night. It takes a bit of time and will often be more complicated than people might imagine. Saying that, my guess is that a significant proportion of existing apps will never be updated. It won't be a case of being lazy. The developers will just have moved on to other other development projects and other careers.

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
I'll be glad we get a Google Voice update. It hasn't been updated in forever!

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Developers were not notified about a screen resolution change until it was announced in WWDC. (I have an iOS developers account) The only way they would have done any changes to the apps is if they thought 99% sure it was going to be getting a bigger screen. Even then, we didn't have concrete resolution specs until recently.

Give the existing apps some times, 2-3 months. Expect new apps to support the bigger screen pretty much right away as they are being released.

rombo

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
It will obviously take some time to get majority of apps updated. But I have to say that i'm really loving the few fullsizes apps. Also back to using safari for now.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
With apples review process, the apps we're seeing updated now were likely submitted almost a week ago. A lot of devs probably waited to get the phone to get started porting apps. So even if they ported it in a day, we're not going to see the update for a week

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
I hope they update Tapatalk soon. It's the app I use the most and I'm tired of seeing the Black bar on the top and bottom of my screen.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
For many apps it's a painless procedure, but for games and certain apps it can be quite a challenge. I hope many quickly update tho, I hate the letter boxing.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Out of the 410 apps I have 134 have been updated over the last 4 days with ios6 and ip5 support.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
The biggest bummer to me is the apps that get letterboxed AND downgraded to low res. Bejeweled is an example. It was beautiful on my iPhone 4, now it's ugly low res on my iPhone 5 :(

It seems like most just use the retina version but letterboxed, which is fine while I wait for an update, but it really sucks for the few that default back to ugliness.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
The phone launched over the weekend, developers don't work weekends, I expect many apps to be updated this week.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I've gotten a couple of apps that have updated to the new resolution (kindle & flashcards deluxe), but for the most part apps are staying the same and letterboxed :(

It's ungrateful bastards like yourself that have me wondering if I'll update my apps at all.