Will developers be lazy and not update their apps to the new iPhone 5 resolution?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

I've gotten a couple of apps that have updated to the new resolution (kindle & flashcards deluxe), but for the most part apps are staying the same and letterboxed :(

Do you think there are a lot of applications out there where the developer is lazy and just won't update them?

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't think it's a case of being lazy, it's a case of:

a) Developers needing time to work on making their apps fit the iPhone 5 screen

b) Developers no longer supporting their Apps

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would say that is an unfair characterization
    I just think it will take time for everyone to get on board
    It isn't necessarily a quick fix in every case, and we don't know all of the particulars for each app and developer

I would say give them the benefit of the doubt at this point

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You mean for apps being given away or sold for a $1? Really?

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They will eventually have to update or face a drop in their rating by customers.

6. shortcrust macrumors 6502

It's funny how people are expecting apps to change over night. It takes a bit of time and will often be more complicated than people might imagine. Saying that, my guess is that a significant proportion of existing apps will never be updated. It won't be a case of being lazy. The developers will just have moved on to other other development projects and other careers.

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

I'll be glad we get a Google Voice update. It hasn't been updated in forever!

8. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Developers were not notified about a screen resolution change until it was announced in WWDC. (I have an iOS developers account) The only way they would have done any changes to the apps is if they thought 99% sure it was going to be getting a bigger screen. Even then, we didn't have concrete resolution specs until recently.

Give the existing apps some times, 2-3 months. Expect new apps to support the bigger screen pretty much right away as they are being released.

9. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed, the letterboxing throws off my typing when I'm messaging someone :(

10. rombo macrumors newbie

It will obviously take some time to get majority of apps updated. But I have to say that i'm really loving the few fullsizes apps. Also back to using safari for now.

11. dljeffery macrumors regular

Not at WWDC. The new resolution wasn't announced until the iPhone 5 announcement on September 12.

It certainly would have been nice if they had announced it at WWDC though!

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

With apples review process, the apps we're seeing updated now were likely submitted almost a week ago. A lot of devs probably waited to get the phone to get started porting apps. So even if they ported it in a day, we're not going to see the update for a week

13. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Sorry, I meant the event, not WWDC.

14. dljeffery macrumors regular

Figured as much. :)

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

16. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I hope they update Tapatalk soon. It's the app I use the most and I'm tired of seeing the Black bar on the top and bottom of my screen.

17. zbarvian macrumors 68010

For many apps it's a painless procedure, but for games and certain apps it can be quite a challenge. I hope many quickly update tho, I hate the letter boxing.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I've whiffed on the space bar more times then I care to admit.

19. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

It'll take a minute. Hell some apps are still getting updated for the retina display for the new iPad.

20. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Out of the 410 apps I have 134 have been updated over the last 4 days with ios6 and ip5 support.

21. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

410 applications?! :eek:

Good lord...

22. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

The biggest bummer to me is the apps that get letterboxed AND downgraded to low res. Bejeweled is an example. It was beautiful on my iPhone 4, now it's ugly low res on my iPhone 5 :(

It seems like most just use the retina version but letterboxed, which is fine while I wait for an update, but it really sucks for the few that default back to ugliness.

23. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

That's low I've removed all my old apps

24. Radiating macrumors 65816

The phone launched over the weekend, developers don't work weekends, I expect many apps to be updated this week.

25. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

It's ungrateful bastards like yourself that have me wondering if I'll update my apps at all.