Will Donald Trump axe the Secret Service?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Dec 19, 2016.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

During this campaign, Donald Trump created and used a private security force for his many rallies and events. Now that he's the president-elect, he's held onto this force, continuing to use them alongside or even instead of the Secret Service. From a Politico article:

In the article, sources say that at least Schiller is going to continue on into Trump's term in office, and perhaps much more of the existing force. Is this the end for the Secret Service? Is the future of government security going to be a set of private paramilitary forces loyal to each individual politician, rather than a single service associated with the office?

Feels a little bit like the last days of the Roman republic here... :(

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

What an idiotic assessment. Trump has repeatedly thanked the Secret Service for their protection.

The last days of the Roman republic, lol get over it the Democrats lost.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

5 million bounty on trumps head from cartel member chapo Guzmán. The man is pay my for security out of his pocket and you worry about it? Please

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

why would anyone want the grinches head? maybe his baby hands.

5. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Ridiculous analysis. The Secret Service has been hiring like crazy for the last 6 months. And by the way, they don't just protect the President. They do a lot of investigative and forensic work as well.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So we will finally know what's growing on Trumps head?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2016 ---
    "Hey Secret Service, can I axe you something." Donald J Trump.

7. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

You should stop reading fake news. It's not healthy.

8. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

All I'm really worried about is that Trump is setting the precedent for the President of the United States having his own private militia force. Not a force associated with the government (as the Secret Service is), but a force associated with the man himself.

I don't really care what he's using it for today. I care that, if someday two men with their own private militias start vying for power in this country, things can really go off the rails...

9. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Be afraid, be very afraid. Then put down the fake news.

10. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I'll consider it fake when Trump lets go his entire security force, including Mr. Schiller. Until that point, it can't be fake news, since it is the truth.

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

He's doing rallies with thousands and the use of private security is not unprecedented, nor is it unwarranted. Don't worry your little head. Trump has already called ******** on this fake news story.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You watch too many movies

13. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Then why'd you pen the OP as you did?

14. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Oh, well if you're looking for "a little bit like the last days" moment, that would have been when Attorney General Lynch met on the tarmac with Bill Clinton. Augustus would have like that.

15. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Um, what? I said in the OP that it feels like the last days of the Roman republic. Those were the days when individual Senators each had their own personally loyal coterie of followers, ready and willing to enforce the "security" of the Senator. So yeah, I don't really care what he's doing with his private army, I care that he has a private army. Politicians should not have their own military forces!

16. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

Didn't JFK want to dismantle the SS? Then he got wacked. Just saying.

17. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Please name the members - or at least how many participants - or anything at all descriptive of - Donald Trump's "private army".

I like a good 11th grade hypothesis as much as the next guy, but sometimes you actually have to write the essay.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Can you spell burnout and churn? They're being practical and gearing up for it because they can't afford to come up short. Plus you know, they got the extra piece of Trump's famliy in NY.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2016 ---
    Yeah, and the Secret Service doesn't like it, either. It makes for confusion if some incident occurs where they need to remove the person they're protecting from a location, or to identify and deal with an assailant and there's another crew figuring hey we got this one.

It will be interesting to see how this stuff gets sorted out. It's in the interests of the American people that the President receive the most effective protective service. That doesn't translate to dually managed and perhaps inherently somewhat competitive forces providing that coverage.

Push come to shove, the Secret Service wins. By law the President and VP are not allowed to decline Secret Service coverage and the service determines what "coverage" entails.

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Not going to happen. Worry more about the 1-3M citizens that area already armed and likely to stand united should the time call for it. That's the private militia the likes of Obama and Hil liar y are / were worried about.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That was fake.

Right. Even if Trump was able to get rid of his detail, and I'm not convinced that he can, the Secret Service would still be employed to protect five former presidents and their families, not to mention the vice presidents.

Moreover, the Secret Service investigates financial crimes and the protects against counterfeit money.

I think it's weird for Trump to try and maintain his own security force. And, I found that his guys were woefully unprepared to deal with the press. But, I don't see his guys as the modern Germanic troops, instead, they'll probably just get in the way and eventually a patient USSS will find a way to push them to the edges.

21. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Dumb **** idea. You must be against your fellow libs since this sounds like a great argument for everyone owning their own gun.

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Right that's a threat I can't imagine all the millita able to unite Into one crazy useful group.

23. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

and no one really thought a simple FB Post could bring out the crowds of strangers together like it does either...

I bet if you were to attend a local III Percenters Club gathering you'd be surprised at their numbers and their reach.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They won't be able to unite into one group, but they would be able to make the US like Syria if they don't like the results of the election.

25. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

most love the results of the election