Will elections be this ugly or worse now?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Nov 10, 2016.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

trump really made this a ugly race and Hillary only did a bit better. will this be the new way political races go? they always seem to get a bit worse each time.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Mudslinging has always been the normal, social media makes it easier.

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

not like this name calling and accusations and far more lies then ever before. it was a real FUBAR behold anything before.

4. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Trump talked about not wanting to be "Politically Correct", but in reality he just wanted to unleash the full crazy of the Alt Right. And it worked.

So long as the American electorate is fine living in the fantasy world of conspiracy theories, elections can only get worse. (Heck, my own brother actually believes that the Clintons are somehow mass-murderers, among all sorts of other right-wing crazytalk.) I dunno how to deal with these beliefs anymore. Maybe this country really does need to go down the tubes; there's not much you can do when the majority of citizens are spending all their time hiding from reality...

5. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Baby boomers are done now, so I don't suspect it will get worse. I don't see Trump running for reelection, he'd leave office at 80 after two terms. Kind of a last hoorah for the generation that's been yelling at each other for decades. They came in with a bang, and have now gone out with one.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Trump was a uniquely toxic candidate. And now he's won employing that style. That's the scary part, that people might adopt his methods. I hope that it's all just a "one off." But that isn't usually how things happen.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The boomers are still trying to hold on before the millenials take over and that scares them. They don't like change. The back end of Gen X like me is going to be fighting hard with the boomers who are bankrupting the country.

8. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Yeah, I'm an "x" and I just want to come to work one day and not have my parents around. They need to let it go.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

We should write this occasion down and try to remember it happened: I completely agree with you and hope we're both right LOL kiss kiss just this one time. Pops top on imaginary NA champagne. Here's to the 2020 race, I expect we'll have resumed normal adversarial positions.. ;)

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

You're forgetting who are candidates were -- scum from the bottom of the country.

If the next election has anyone remotely better, we'll have a better election.

11. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Gotta disagree here. Clinton represents your standard every-day American politician; she's put her time in doing the hard work, toeing the standard line for the Democratic party, making compromises where necessary, and (of course) taking all sorts of crap from the other party. I don't think there's anything incredibly exciting about her, but neither is there anything particularly awful about her either (despite the best efforts of the right-wing media). Her worst fault is what -- trying to maintain a private life away from the cameras? Because honestly, that is exactly what the private server represented.

Trump, on the other hand? This man has never been in politics; no, he's spent his time "making deals". By which he means screwing as much out of the guy on the other side of the table as he can. He epitomizes the philosophy of the "zero-sum game"; that is, for him to win, someone else must lose. He set up the election that way: he made white voters believe that they would win, by promising that all non-whites in this country would lose. This policy is truly one of a scumbag.

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Meh...it'll be the quiet election.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2016 ---
    She's a turd and everyone knew it. She apparently smelled a little worse than he did.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Elections? We don't need any stinking elections.

TRUMP FOR KING

14. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

If you're going to water down her private server as simply "trying to maintain a private life," I'm not sure how to respond. If she was trying to maintain a private life, she shouldn't have been working as Secretary of State, and she definitely should not be running for presidency. She created a server and email unknown to the government she was working for ... why?

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

He's emperor now, or thinks that's what got stamped on his parking ticket the other night, so why on earth would he downgrade to king?

We should have the usual midterm vote in 2018 just to wake up his minions over in the Congress.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

o_O I'm a boomer and only 56. How is that "done"?
    The government knew about her server. It wasn't unknown that she was using it.

17. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I thought that the government found out much later? Could you link a source please.

18. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

What do you think she was trying to accomplish? I've heard all sorts of crap from the folks attacking her, that she was trying to steal state secrets, or sell secrets to other countries, or otherwise commit acts of treason.

Bizarre. If she wanted to do that, there are far easier and less elaborate means than setting up a personal e-mail server.

The truth is, she wasn't trying to do anything untoward. Sure, her efforts may have been a little silly from an outsider's point of view, but I just don't understand how people can twist things so out of whack that they think she's trying to overturn the entire government via her e-mail account.
    Hello? Every time she sent mail from her personal account, it contained the address of her personal account. It did not come from a government account. If people wanted to send mail to her, they had to send it to her personal address. How in the world could she have kept that secret?????

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Here in the midwest Hit liar y ran far far far more hateful and negative ads. Trump barely had any and the ones he did weren't about her personally. Add to that I saw far more violent and hateful protests and anarchy going on all due to the far left. I didn't see anyone from the right rioting.

It's not surprising that its still the far left rioting, protesting, and burning things.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Turn your TV off once you've seen a clip, it's going to loop until there's something juicier...

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No. You could look one up.

22. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I don't think she was trying to sell secrets or commit treason. I'm not as confident in the belief that she wasn't trying to do anything untoward as you are (truth is a very strong word), because in my opinion, the way she handled it definitely didn't make it seem so. Personally, I think that she might have been toeing the lines, but I could be wrong. Comey and the FBI did clear her (they found federal violations that usually aren't acted on), and that's fine, but Hillary never spent time to clarify this when campaigning. I think that hurt her as well. I wasn't satisfied with her apology just like I wasn't satisfied with Trump's apology for the video.

It was a mistake, but it lacked incredible foresight from someone with so many years of experience.

That's what I was thinking, but was curious if there was more to it as in govt approval. Though it's not illegal for the SS to have a personal email (permitted in certain circumstances), but there are rules and restrictions to be followed, like turning over the emails after leaving office. She didn't seek government approval either, but it's interesting how the department cybersecurity didn't catch this. Perhaps they knew all along?

23. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

No need for Trump to run hateful ads; he had practically 24/7 exposure on Fox to spread the alt-right conspiracy theories, and most of his support base watches Fox. Lots of followers on Twitter as well.

And honestly, almost 100% of Hillary ads here were simply quotes and recordings of actual Trump statements. And not even taken out of context either! (I live in the Midwest too.)

No need for the far right to riot / protest / burn. In just a few short weeks, Trump will have an entire force of government thugs breaking down doors and pulling people out of their homes, no need for the far right folks to even get off their couches.

24. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

why would anyone watch political ads? now I know why I gave up tv.

25. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Because Fox is the only channel that's NOT totally over-run with Leftist slants...

She still rarely if ever ran ads that talked about her accomplishments or policies. LOL that she would attack trump and then daily it was proven she lied, cheated and surrounded herself with corruption.

Ironically after spending millions and having Trump and his entire family as targets, the left barely pulled anything of substance out as dirt on him. That last minute list of woman that he supposidly "assaulted" was LOL and so fake and planned.

Good! Time to rid the country of illegal aliens and especially the ones that commit crimes.