Will "Front Row Enabler" corrupt my files when i migrate 2 my new 24 inch intel iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smittay, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Smittay macrumors member

hey guys

im just one of those people who did the front row enabler on my powerbook g4 a couple years ago (2006?). I purposely have not updated my operating system from 10.4.7, because they said if i did it to 10.4.8, it would corrupt my computer or worse, then i tried to find the info 2 years later now and i cant.

well as time has it, i am down to 1.3gb. so i installed a new flash program, but i needed to update my quicktime to run it and i don't have enough room or juice. so im stuck, no flash, no quicktime, no room, etc. so then i went out and bought a new 24 inch iMac, 2 x 3.06ghz, 4 gb ram, and 1000gb HD.

i have had it sitting in my living room for 3 months due to just how extremely busy i have been and also the fact, i am afraid that if i transfered my laptop to my new imac, it would somehow corrupt the files due to the front row enabler.

can i just transfer my data with the migration assistant or do you think it will mess it up?

if anyone has any advice, or has done similar, please let me know :) ive read some stuff on faqs and help for front row enabler and im just not sure about it, so i was wondering if any of you pro's could weigh in, thanks so much, smitt

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'm not sure I understand why you'd need to. You should just have to use Migration Assistant to move your iTunes libaray and XML database to your new iMac, then they should simply show up in Front Row.

3. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

thats what i thought, but people kept telling me if i let the "Front Row Enabler" stay when i went to due to the migration or setup and transfer files to my new imac, it would corrupt them.

do you guys think i should remove "Front Row Enabler" before transferring or migrating to the new iMac with Leopard on it?

does anyone know how to deinstall "Front Row Enabler" or if I should even bother as Caveman pointed out?

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

What is the file path to the enabler? It's probably a good idea to move it to another location before doing MA.

5. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

well its just in a folder on my desktop not in Applications folder.

it said it had to patch 2 things to work, ---- thats what im worried will screw up my system in leopard

brb, let me get that.

6. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

1. Download Front Row from Apple
    Download Front Row 1.3 from Apple’s website.

When the download completes, open the disk image (FrontRowUpdate1.3.dmg) and copy the file “FrontRowUpdate1.3.pkg” to the Desktop. This file must be copied to the Desktop. Don’t run the installation just yet. At this point if you try running the Update Installer package, you’ll get this error:

Alert

This software update requires a Macintosh with a built-in infrared (IR) receiver running Mac OS X 10.4.5 or later.

Front Row’s usability is not dependent on an infrared receiver, and in fact runs well on recent Macs (past 3 years or so). If you are confident your system is capable, you can chose to skip the hardware check using Enabler 1.3.5.

7. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

2. Enable Installation
    Download Enabler 1.3.5

Warning: This process is not supported by Apple Computer, Inc. Some users who have not followed these instructions carefully have had there toolbar items temporarily disabled and unavailable.

When the download completes, open the disk image (Enabler_1.3.5.dmg).

Next, run “Enabler” from the disk image. (That is, don’t copy it to a different folder and then try to run it, as it has to be run from the disk
    image.)

Select the “Enable Installation” button and authenticate with you password.
    “Front Row can now be installed”

Open FrontRowUpdate1.3.pkg located on the Desktop and proceed with the installation.

When the installation completes, restart.

8. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

3. Enable Front Row

Though its been installed, Mac OS X checks to see if your Mac has a built in infrared receiver. For Front Row to launch, two of Mac OS X’s system files must be patched. Even without an IR receiver, Front Row still runs fine because it can be controlled with the keyboard in-place of the Apple Remote (other remotes work too).

Having restarted, again open the Enabler1.3.5.dmg disk image.

Run “Enabler” from the disk image. (That is don’t copy it to a different folder and then try to run it, as it has to be run from the disk image.)

Select the “Patch Mac OS X” button and authenticate with you password.

Restart.

9. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like i need to deinstalll "Front Row Enabler"

Based on the install instructions i posted above, does anyone know how i'd de-install it?

thanks, smitt :)

10. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

heres where front row is:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app

it looks like this is how to unistall it, because there was a problem with 10.4.8...... do you think i can update to 10.4.11 and not have this same problem? just let me know guys, any help would be great :)

11. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

Manually Uninstalling Front Row:

Delete Front Row (/System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app).

Download Mac OS X 10.4.8 Update from Apple.

Open the disk image

Download Pacifist and copy it to the Application folder.

Use Pacifist to open the Mac OS X Update Installer package file (which ends in .pkg).

Search for “bezel” and install only these two specific files folders:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BezelServices.framework/
    /System/Library/LoginPlugins/BezelServices.loginPlugin/

Restart.

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That's in 10.4. On your iMac you presumably have 10.5, where Front Row is a stand-alone app in the Applications folder. I think you ought to just copy your media over to your new computer, then drop them into iTunes and be done with it.

13. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

thanks so much --- :)

but what about all my system prefs, address books, website bookmarks, mail, everything else etc etc -- why just the media? i wanted to transfer whole computer->whole computer.

you don't think just running the migration assistant would work?
    from old laptop powerbook G4-> firewire 800->new intel imac?

esp since you just said front row is a stand alone application in Leopard, which i just learned its not in 10.4 --

i just looked around the internet and it doesn't seem like people are NOT having trouble/issues transferring with front row enabler to an intel based mac w leopard.

im just scared about those 2 bezel patches -- what the heck are those? and should i even worry about them when i do the migration?

14. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Sorry, your use of "Front Row" led me to believe you were only interested in your media files. If you get rid of the enabler (or even 10.4 FR) I would think you'd be just fine with MA. I'd make a backup of your iMac using Carbon Copy Cloner or Time Machine before running MA if you have anything on the iMac that you cannot afford to lose. Backups are always a good idea.

15. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

so anyone, should i just do the migration assistant??

16. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

just waiting :) anybody know what to do?

17. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm busy too, but wow, I would find time somehow to unbox the machine. Either way, you will be just fine because the enabler isn't needed for an Intel machine and so your iMac won't even bother with the file. Or just erase the enabler from your computer and then migrate everything.
    Jeez really.

18. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

thanks, so you think i should just delete it from my systems folder and go through with the migration huh?

i know about the unboxing... i have one at work too the 24 inch imac, so since im there 50+ hours a week, i just havent gotten to it at home yet... im crazy :)

thanks guys
    smitt

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

To be completely honest I wouldn't have worried one second about it. The enabler is a hack used to get a G4 to run Front Row and it is not recognized or even used by a Mac that natively runs Front Row. So you really have nothing to worry about. Like 0%, nothing.