Will genes that make people gay phase out as people have less kids?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

So one current theory is that genes that predispose people to being gay are passed along by the siblings of gay people or through muted genes that may be activated in a future gen. This made me wonder about the fact that more and more families are having only one child in Western civ. Would this impact the population of gay people after a few generations?

Do gay communities feel compelled to pass their genes by using surrogates/sperm donor due to this?

2. niploteksi macrumors regular

No, it will impact the demographics until people can be imported.

3. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Would only work that way (if being gay is even genetic) if a 2nd, 3rd etc child has a higher chance of turning out gay as a 1st born.

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

No/doubtful. There's a reason why mother nature hasn't evolved that way. IMO it will always remain a fluke in the grand scheme.

5. niploteksi macrumors regular

If there was a "gay gene" it would most likely have been phased out due to genetic drift. I also doubt that this "gay gene" would be a victim of natural selection because of cultural reasons.

The biological machine is a little more complicated than just a set of blueprints from a gene map.

6. 0098386 Suspended

Possibly, but if being gay is genetic and they appeared randomly previously, then it’ll continue happening in such a way. Just a guess.

I wonder though. Cystic Fibrosis should have been phased out long ago.

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

This is what I think as well, assuming there is any genetic component to being gay (which I tend to believe there isn't). Though I think it's possible for people to be predisposed to being gay, I think it has more to do with hormones than it does with a "gay gene" (which could explain why twins are more likely to both be gay if one is or why gay men often have older brothers).

8. rjohnstone, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Hormones and genetics are linked.
    Your initial genetic makeup determines hormone gland development.
    The interesting part is that later, as the glands develop, their release then has an effect on the genetic activity.
    It becomes circular.
    To say there is a "gay gene" is a bit ambiguous. It's more a collection of events during development that set in motion how one develops.

Here's an interesting article I was reading a while ago about hormone therapy that touches on how hormones are used to activate genes controlling development, metabolism, and immune system response.
    https://phys.org/news/2009-08-hormones-affect-gene.html

Links to hormones and gene expression have research going back into the 50's and 60's.
    We're jut beginning to be able to look into and understand the RNA changes in gene expression that occur under the presence of certain hormones.

There are plenty of gender related studies out there that dig into the theory of genes and prenatal hormones.
    Your genes determine everything about you from physical appearance to how your body functions at it's most basic level.
    To say there is no genetic component to being gay would be taking a narrow view of genetics as a whole.
    The whole "nature vs nurture" argument has always been a losing one in my mind.
    Nurture (your environment you grow up in) can impact social development and impact certain "norms" in human relationships, but that only goes so far given the large number of gay people who are raised in what would be considered a "traditional" setting, yet still find themselves attracted to the same sex.

9. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I won't deny that there may be a genetic component, but I am sometimes bothered by LGBT people who get hung up on insisting in its genetic origin as if to imply that homosexuality can only be "accepted" if it's proven to be in-born. Frankly I would not be "opposed" to homosexuality even if it were a choice. Its morality doesn't hinge on whether it's in-born or not for me, which is part of why I sometimes react negatively to the genetic argument. As an LGBT person myself, I'm not concerned with proving there's a "gay gene". That said, I will fully accept any evidence that suggests a genetic component to sexuality. I was raised in a "traditional" environment, yet even at age 4-5 I was very effeminate and I often look back on that as an early sign of my bisexuality. I really don't know, though.

10. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

If it’s genetic. Don’t believe that has been demonstrated scientifically. It could be random mutation. Could be natural occurance in certain percentage of population. Could be all the chemicals, plastics, herbicides, hormone like molecules, in the environment. Could be something else. In any case, and for whatever reason, it’s not catching, doesn’t affect your life, so why be so all fired nosy and controlling that you have to be nasty to people who arn’t Exactly like you. That’s the real question. Ever here of something like live and let live.

Have yet to see roving gangs of gay and lesbians coming to my home trying to have sex with me, convert me.

Now I have seen roving gangs of various religions coming to my home to try and convert me. That I have seen.

11. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

It is one of the "theories" that it is genetic. Wildly disputed and not proven.
    "Live and Let Live".

12. niploteksi macrumors regular

Now wouldn't that be something?

13. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I have the best of both worlds. I’ve had roving gangs of various religions coming to my house to have set with me. Win/win

14. Zenithal macrumors G3

I thought there was a higher rate of innate and incidental homosexuality in Mormons?

15. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

There are. But they just put it in a box and CRUSH IT!!!!

16. Zenithal macrumors G3

Well, I suppose you need to fit in somehow.

17. citizenzen, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

1. If gayness were so "fragile" that it could disappear in a few generations, surely it wouldn't have survived the tens (if not hundreds) of thousand years that humans have existed.

2. PRSI is a terrible place to look for informed opinion regarding genetics. (including the one I wrote)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    I whole-heartedly agree. I've said time and time in these threads that it doesn't matter if it's genetic or not.

That said, it's understandable that for a time the most compelling argument was that gay people were born that way. But now, I think we can accept that even if it's purely a choice, they have the right to make that choice.

I believe that as homosexuality becomes more accepted and ingrained into society, more people will experiment with it and choose it for themselves. Vive la difference.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

No, probably not. Even if homosexuality was 100% simple genetics you'd probably only see a proportional decrease relative to the population decrease.

Genetics is far more complex than genes and their heritability. There's a lot more factors in play that ultimately make people who they are. I suggest anyone who is interested in genetics to read about epigenetics... which is increasingly shown to be more important than genetics.

19. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Got a source for this? Not being obstructive, just unaware of credible ongoing research.
    Lack of malaria in the US does not seem to have eliminated Sickle Cell Syndrome, a 2-edged genetic protection against the former.
    There may be something interesting in the new field of Epigenetics.
    Just to further confuse the issue, homosexuality is not specific to humans. The peaceful Bonobo chimp is much more sexually adventurous than the warlike Common chimp.
    Mothers of gay kids are reputed to be superior carers. Sorry no source, cannot remember where I read it.

20. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is the article I saw: http://www.sciencefocus.com/feature/life/gay-genetics

They touch on a few issues here, including that siblings of gay people tend to compensate. My question was more around what happens when siblings disappear.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    One thing missed is that it hasn't been socially accepted to be gay for that long. Many gay men may have took a wife in the 60s, 70s, 80s and reluctantly passed their genes onwards due to social pressure.

21. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

22. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Well something has to slow the world population growth issue.