Will getting a new Iphone fix my poor reception?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jacoblee23, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I am currently in an extended network, and my phone keeps trying to connect to a Verizon tower (and there are none where I live) and it is causing me to lose service. Well my girlfriend's Iphone 4 doesn't do that quite as much and doesn't lose service as much as my 4s, and stays more on the extended network.

Verizon is pretty much clueless, and isn't much help anyway. They offered to mail me a replacement phone for free, but I am already going to an apple store tomorrow. My question is, do you think it is worth the hassle of replacing the phone to see if it will help, or is it a waste of time? Also, would Apple replace it for free? I have AppleCare+, and the phone is in perfect condition. Thank you.

2. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Apple problably won't because it sounds more like a carrier issue than an iPhone issue. Only issue with getting a refurb if your i is "perfect" is the next one might not be so "perfect".

Does extended network mean a non Vrz tower/provider? (like roaming used to be) Sorry I'm a bit ignorant on the subject.

IF you think a new phone will help then I say make the switch (through apple if they'll exchange or carrier). I just wonder why you would get a Vrz iPhone if the service is so crappy where you are. Good luck.

3. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is through US Cellular towers that it is roaming on. When I got the phone and switched from US Cellular to Verizon ( I wanted the Iphone) I was lied to and told I would get good service where I live. I should haven't given the salesman the benefit of the doubt.

4. DroidRules macrumors 65816

LoL NEVER give the salesman the benefit.... They are after your money NOT your satisfaction. Is it possible to switch carrier? Sell the 4s, pay your ETF and pick up another. I know it's a few more bucks out of pocket but not having good cell service would be a deal killer for me. Where are you located? (for no other reason than I'm a nosey parker and am curious)

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

First & foremost, one must do the research to find out which carrier has the best coverage in your area. The phone is secondary.

6. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I could go back to US Cellular, but I am in love with my 4s, and will be moving to a Verizon 3G area in August for the next 3-4 years for college. It will always continue to be a problem though whenever I visit my parents (which is where I am now) unfortunately. I work in a good Verizon service area at least. I live in the eastern part of Oklahoma outside of a town of like 500 people. It's around 45 minutes west of the Oklahoma/Arkansas border.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Ok... but you had a chance to get out from day one when you realized the reception was not as promised. Am I missing something?

8. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was supposed to be moving in January to go to school at the college that I am going to in August, but ended up having to stay another semester at the one I am currently going to now. And I have my girlfriend on my line, (she gets great service where she lives), and we will be getting married sometime next year, so I don't really want to terminate the contract.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

That's fair... but this really doesn't sound like the result of being lied to. Maybe he did lie to you, but you decided to deal with your service where you currently are anyway. Either way, there WAS a way out.

FWIW, if you are TRYING to get out, sticking on the roaming network more often than not will get you out of your contract. Verizon doesn't want to have to pay for you to be roaming the majority of time. Again, this is IF you are trying to get out of your contract. If not, then disregard.

10. DroidRules macrumors 65816

BFE!! I say pick up a cheap US cellular device to use when you're home and keep your 4s. You can still use the 4s as an iPod touch situation until you get out into civilization.

11. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't really know if I can afford to pay two cellphone bills though :/. I am thinking about getting a network extender, but I don't want to pay all that money and it end up not working.

12. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I really meant pick up a non contract phone. I can't imagine US cellular phones are pulling a premium price. Just checked out ebay and saw a ton for less than $100.