Will google chrome be better than safari?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, Jun 28, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I am testing both right now.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Pros:
    Search Feature (search text on page easily and intuitively without jumping through hoops)
    Bookmark syncing (Safari has this, but Safari on Windows is abysmal. This is an answer for the windows users.

Cons:
    Cannot be set as default browser (this is an Apple thing, I know)
    No full screen view (really??!?!?!?!)

There are probably more, but those are the quick things I've found thus far.

4. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted

Can I bring my safari bookmarks to Chrome

5. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Ive never been a real fan of Google Chrome. Dont really like it much at all in fact. I like Opera much better.

6. cynics macrumors G3

It's better IMO.

Click other devices and I get a list. PC, laptop, iPad, Android tablet and I can see my bookmarks or continue browsing.
    Request desktop site.
    Incognito tab for privacy browsing without having to menu dive.
    Unlimited tabs.
    Swipe to switch tabs.
    Email directly from the browser to send a link you come across.
    Web search in the web page field.
    Larger keyboard for extra options without having to switch things.

Those are just something's I immediately noticed. I'll probably find more. What kills it is the iOS limitation that I can't set it as a default browser. Before I preferred atomic but no longer.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

All browser native on iOS must use WebKit (Opera Mini is rendered on Opera servers, so it's not a native browser). So Chrome for iOS runs on WebKit, which in simplest terms is Safari dressed up to a look like Chrome.

That said, I'm not a big fan of Chrome, so it doesn't really make it better for me since it's not running a different engine.

8. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted

Damn we can't copy images right outta the browser and paste them

9. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I like Chrome except for accessing the bookmarks. Should be one touch.

10. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If you use Safari on your Mac, I doubt you'll see much benefit (especially when Mountain Lion rolls around). But as a Chrome user, I already replaced Safari on my homescreen.

11. MacFan23 macrumors 6502

Chrome for anything runs on WebKit...

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Out of all the third party browsers, Chrome seems to feel the most native. I like it a lot. I doubt I'll use it often though. Safari is just fine for me.

13. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I agree with this. The bookmarks is a little complicated, especially for quick access.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Easiest way to do this would be to install chrome on a PC and have them imported. Not sure there is a way to do that on the mobile version.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes but their own javascript engine won't run on iOS or anything that they've done to customize WebKit. its basically a skin for Safari.

16. iHelios macrumors member

I'll stick with Safari.

I'll need a faster web browser before I make the switch. With google chrome I noticed slower load times, scrolling...etc.

17. cynics macrumors G3

Let me ask this. And I ask respectfully because I truly want to know. What does Safari on an iPhone offer that Chrome on an iPhone doesn't?

Aside from a default browser of course.

For me since I'm not neck deep in the Apple ecoutilize so it obviously better. I realize that may not be the case for all users which is why I'm asking this question. I'm always learning and my iPhone gets better when people tell me things that I didn't previously know about which I can later utilize.

18. Sangdushi macrumors regular

I don't notice any difference in speed. I like all it's features. So far, for me it's better. Whether its better for you, I don't know.

19. cynics, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

cynics macrumors G3

Loading and especially scrolling are OS issues. However on one weboage I was using it did load kind of strangely, it popped up then disappeared then popped up again. Didn't really effect me but it was noticeable.

Edit : btw, I can understand if someone is pro apple and doesn't like Google, its human nature in a sense. But I think if Safari picked up a lot of the pro's I listed above it would be so much better. Google didn't have to make an iOS version, and apple could make an Android version (who would want that?) If it was good people would use it. I'll use whatever works best for me and competition keeps this ball rolling. I'd love for apple to step up safari to be better then Google's chrome. And I would be the first to say I prefer it over chrome but until then I'll stick with which works best for me..

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Well not much either way. Since it's basically the same browser. It's really all about the design and features of the browser. Chrome seemed to find the perfect balance of not too much or too little, but it still needs a couple feature added.

21. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I am always trying to replace Safari on the iPhone but in the end I always come back to it. It's gotten a lot better over the years, and it seems it will be even better with iOS 6.

I did download chrome for iPhone, and I do often use Chrome on my MBP. I think after a few days the novelty will ware off and I'll find myself using safari again. The whole default browser issue is just too much of a pain to really use another browser 100% of the time.

22. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

What else is needed? If someone texts or emails me a link, I want to be able to click and go right there. For that alone, I'll stick with Safari.

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Been playing with both for a couple of hours. Not a huge difference and I think I prefer Safari. I'll commit to a full day of Chrome use at some point for a more thorough opinion.