Will grandfathering of AT&T Unlimited Data work when preordering 4S on Apple.com

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ezatnova, Oct 5, 2011.

1. ezatnova macrumors newbie

I know if I were to go into the AT&T store or Best Buy, they could easily upgrade my phone and port over my current plan, which is the old unlimted data for $30. If I were to do the preorder on Oct 7 through Apple.com, it isn't clear that they would or would not allow me to just select something that carries over my existing plan...it almost sounds like, through them, I'd have to choose a new limited data plan. If that's the case, I guess I'm way better off dealing with getting it at a store.

Figured some people may have run into this when upgrading from 3G to 4G in the past, through Apple.com but when on AT&T Unlimited Data.

Thanks

2. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I would like to know this as well. I had always assumed it would carry over. Or do you have to go through AT&T to buy the phone?

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I have exactly the same question. I'll be upgrading from a 3GS with grandfathered unlimited. I checked out the AT&T upgrade website, and found that when upgrading to the iPhone 4 I was offered the option of keeping my current data plan. But has anyone tried it from the Apple website?

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I fail to see why it wouldn't grandfather - you're switching your sim, that's all. If you were starting a new line or contract, you wouldn't get it.

5. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I'm not sure if AT&T would give this info out, as they would probably want you to order through them. Hmm...

We need to find someone who bought the iphone4 though apple and kept their data plan. I would assume they did that, or there would've been more outrage.

----------

Do you physically swap the sim card yourself, or does the new phone come with your sim card?

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, your plan will stay the same.

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

The iPhone would come with it's own SIM and you would then Activate it through iTunes.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Go to an AT&T store for that. Do not go to Apple.

9. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

hehe =) Now I don't know what to do!

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

It worked just fine last year pre-ordering with Apple.com. I had the iPhone unlimited data plan before and after the upgrade to the iPhone 4.

During the online pre-order when the account data is pulled from AT&T, you were able to review your existing voice plan, data plan and SMS Txt Plan listed and make any changes before submitting your pre-order. Just like in AT&T Online Account Managment system (OLAM) today, if you have the iPhone Unlimited data plan today it is listed. If you don't currently have the Unlimited data plan then it is not listed as being available.

The process was very easy but the Apple.com site was under quite a strain and many individuals ended up with multiple orders.

I would expect the same thing to happen again this year but we will not know for sure until Oct. 7. :D

Dave

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Or, you can switch your own SIM in, and then plug into iTunes Either method works.

12. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Thanks Dave, it's nice that they will show it before you click "buy." That makes me feel better =)

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Does this work? I'm assuming we have to go to the website and change some kind of identifier number with ATT so they know which phone the sim is in? I forget exactly what this is, but I remember having to do it when I sold my ipad1 and swapped the sim to an ipad2.

14. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I bought mine through Apple last summer and my unlimited data plan carried over with no problem.

15. vlj9r macrumors member

You should be able to keep your unlimited data plan. When I upgraded from the 3g to the 4 at the Apple store my unlimited data plan remained in effect since I was grandfathered in.

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

But if you're coming from the 3GS you would have to cut down your SIM. Not really all that practical.

I think I will order through Apple.com, then, if either one will work.

17. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Wow Seriously, It doesn't matter if you get it at AT&T, Verizon or the Apple store you plan will stay exactly how it is already. you are only switching phones.

18. InTheAir macrumors regular

Thanks for the detailed answer.

19. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You don't have to call ATT for for anything, just pop it in. Once it's in, the phone sends ATT all the info they need.

20. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

you won't have any issue on apple.com it worked fine last year it pulls your data from att.... and it comes with a new sim so you just turn it on and call the activation number.. or just activate it via the phone. your other sim will become inactive.

ops since this is pc free you just have to turn it on and it activates all by itself! just read that

21. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

Not sure about ATT but right on Verizon's site for their iPhone 4S page it says you keep unlimited data if you sign a 2 year contract.