Will I be able to buy an iphone and just use the apps/wifi for internet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WalledMacGarden, Jun 9, 2010.

1. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

2. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

Get an iPod Touch...

3. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I would also suggest an iPod Touch. If you buy an iPhone, they require you to purchase a data plan... $15 a month at the cheapest.

4. WalledMacGarden thread starter macrumors regular

The touch is not what I want, I want the new 4 for reading due to the high PPI, also the improved antenna.

5. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

First don't act rude over someone offering a better alternative.
    LMAO. If you don't need to connect to cellular the why worry at all about the antenna as the regular ones connect to wifi just fine. If reading is just that damn important, then you must buy it out of contract.

Wow its getting weird around here lately.

6. WalledMacGarden thread starter macrumors regular

7. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

You'll pay the $599/699 price and will have to wait until the dev team (or someone else) jailbreaks it since the phone will need to be hacktivated. The other option is opening a new account and canceling after 30 days. But the ETF is now $325.

8. Bakakage macrumors 6502

What do you want us to do about it? Either buy the new iphone with no contract at either 599/699, or get an Ipod touch 3g for 250/350 . If the 5mp camera and higher rez screen justifies spending extra cash then go for it.

9. WalledMacGarden thread starter macrumors regular

So the iphone can't be activated without an AT&T contract? I guess the 325 ETF is an option if I can continue to use it with apps/camera etc... What about buying an unlocked phone from overseas in July? can it be activated?

Thanks for the answers, at least I now know it's possible.

10. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

I have several options for you

1. Buy the iPhone 4 and use it as a reader with wifi etc.
    2. Buy an iPod Touch and live with the fact the resolution isnt retina display.
    3. WAIT for the iPod touch refresh later on in the year - no doubt it will have the retina display and bigger memory for your books etc.
    4. Get a wifi only iPad, nice big screen not too bad to read on ok, no retina display but it's ok.
    5.Get an amazon kindle - if you mainly want to read this is the device, and the e-ink display is great and soooo easy on the eyes, there is even a limited web browser too!

11. iNewton4000 macrumors newbie

iNewton4000

Too funny, nobody here can just give a simple answer (til post #7).

The non-judging/second-guessing answer is just "yes". Of course it'll cost you one way or another (as finally pointed out) -- but that may be still worth it to you. I would sit tight and see what developes.

I actually have been doing pretty much the same thing since day one of the original iPhone(!), and loving it. It's my "micro-laptop": any connectivity I need is through wifi or Verizon -- works awesome and I don't pay ATT a dime (or have to deal with their network).

I'll be looking to do the same thing with the new one... not too worried that there won't be some creative solutions coming ;)

Btw, you weren't rude at all -- some of the replies though: "rude", "better alternative" -- wtf? I mean, it seemed pretty obvious to me that you want the new iPhone which is now quite different than the Touch -- you and a million other people!

12. WalledMacGarden thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, awesome post, nice to know you actually did just what I have been asking was possible. And yes...all I was looking for was Yes or No answer and maybe a how. I guess everyone thinks people on here know all about the AT&T/iphone activation rules.

So I will have an iphone 4 with no voice/data, but have an active itunes account with apps/music/camera/wifi.

And looks like something around 700, sounds high until you look at what it will replace that I was going to buy. I was going to buy a pocket size camera with video for say 200, an also an Ipod for 175, that's 375 without wifi internet, and I wanted a small pocket size portable reader.

I think the iphone 4 fits my needs perfect in one device, I don't think the new Ipod touch will have the cameras.

13. iNewton4000 macrumors newbie

iNewton4000

No prob. And keep in mind that ATT "rules" change every time a new model comes out, and look how much they've changed/shifted/backpedaled just this month... can't even keep track! So who knows what we'll be able to do this time.

It's an amazing device -- and now, it's almost the Newton a lot of us have always wanted ;-)

It's funny how I sometimes forget that it's actually a phone too as I would barely notice if that part magically disappeared.

Re touch: like others have said, it's prolly only a matter of time; but as usual, I can't see it having feature parity in all the other non-phone capabilities either, so iPhone will still be what I need.

14. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

couldn't you just wait until September, since by that time it will have a camera

15. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I agree... the iPod touch will most likely get at least the retina display in September. And since FaceTime is wifi-only, it will probably get a front-facing camera.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Your best bet would be to wait until September. That's usually when the iPods are updated. So with what other refreshes have been, you may be able to get an iPod touch with the same functionality as an iPhone [minus the phone of course].

If you want an iPhone you would need to activate it first and then afterwards it will be a iPod touch for all intent and purposes. For the activation you can just borrow a SIM card from a friend or family member for the process.

17. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

if you cancel most carriers will put you in "time out" and prevent you from signing another contract... it used to be for 30 days...someone mentioned that it's now for 6 months for AT&T

18. -js- macrumors regular

-js-

Could someone elaborate on the HOW of turning a no-contract iPhone 4 into what is essentially an iPod Touch?

For the moment, assume the cost is no object--up front cost, anyway--no monthly fees is the goal here for me.

OK. So you would buy the iPhone 4 for $700 (or $600) but then what? As I understand it, you need a SIM card in the iPhone in order to do software updates and to put apps and music and all that on it. Is that correct?

So, what could you do:

1. Start AT&T cell phone service with no contract and then just cancel it? And are there any ramifications to that? I assume you'd just lose the ability to make cell calls, right? You'd still have the GPS, though, right? And what was that about AT&T freezing you or locking you out? Can they do that? They just prevent you from immediately switching over to another carrier? Is that it? But if you wanted to reactivate your AT&T service you could do so the very next day?

2. BORROW a SIM card from a friend? Really? Would it have to be a non-iPhone SIM card? Or does it not matter? And would you need to borrow it every single time you needed to do a software update? If so, option 1 sounds better.

or

3. Another option here?

I'm most interested in option 1. So I suppose I should just go to my nearest AT&T wireless store and ask them about getting a no-contract iPhone.

As for the iPod touch in September, do people here really think it will have the retina display and cameras? What about the gyroscope? If so, it would indeed be smart to wait. Personally, I was very dubious as to how much of the iPhone 4 coolness would transfer to the iPod Touch re-fresh. But now my hopes have been raised.

OK. TIA.