Will I be able to hook up 24in Cinema Display to the New Mac Pros?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Greenhoe, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Hi,
    I have a new unibody Mac Book Pro and I'm waiting for the New Mac Pros to come out, I'm looking to purchase one of the new 24in LED Cinema for my MacBook Pro but I was wondering do you guys think that the new graphic Cards in the upcoming Mac Pros will have a Mini Display port on them so I may use the 24in with the Mac Pro also? Thanks

2. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Most likely all of the Apple computers will get the mini display port in the future...

3. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I don't know about this, I'm curious what they're going to do with the desktops, if they're going to use mini DP or just DP, does anyone know if there's any kind of DP->mini DP female adapter currently?

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I have a feeling adapters will come soon after the new nehalem mac pros.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hello! Thank you for your input into the Gainestown Mac Pro! I'm compiling information about it in my thread, and you brought up a valuable point, so I'll include it.

My thread will probably be the place you want to go for info in the future. Thank you again for the contribution, and stay tuned for forum-wide consensus there!

6. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Yeah if they do use DP then I'm sure Apple will come out with another adapter but I think it would be better to use one kind of connection through out all Macs, however if they're going to use mini DP on the MP then they should add audio functions through mini DP, but my understanding is that there isn't anyone making GPUs that have the ability to provide audio through mini DP ATM.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I believe I saw an article from arstechnica that mentioned the current mini displayport offerings of v1.1 doesnt have audio support but the next version will with a much bigger bandwidth.