Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbdullahTammour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Hello All!

Will I be able to upgrade Directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion without going through Lion?

Thanks in advance

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Nobody here knows for real, Apple will answer that on the release date of ML or an event to announce the release date, like WWDC.

I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t work.

Because we don't know for sure yet if Apple'll enforce the Lion OS requirement, in which it has to be installed first before updating to ML. In other words, can users bypass paying 30$ for Lion to install ML directly.

Will Apple replace Lion with Mountain Lion at the Mac App Store? If yes, then Lion is probably not required and can be installed on top of SL.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Will Apple replace Lion with Mountain Lion at the Mac App Store? If yes, then Lion is probably not required and can be installed on top of SL.

Apple has never put such a technical restriction on the OS before, I can’t see a reason why they would now.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm also interested to know since I want to do a fresh install and my late 2010 MBA came with Snow Leopard. I'm on 10.7 right now with no issues after upgrading from 10.6. I don't think I'll have any issues if I upgrade from 10.7 to 10.8 but I'd prefer doing a fresh install unless it isn't recommended.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
For now it works, not sure if they keep the possibility to upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.8..imho why they would not..

Roseysgirl

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
Hi there I'm a newbie around here but I saw this question.

I asked the same thing in the Apple store in Glasgow last week.

According to them you will NOT be able to upgrade from Snow Leopard (which is what I have) you will have to buy Lion first before you can upgrade to Mountain Lion. :(

Which sucks as I am unemployed. Yes I know its not a MASSIVE amount of money, but its money that I cant afford/justify at this time. :(

So I guess for me anyway I will be sticking with Snow Leopard for a bit longer.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

According to them you will NOT be able to upgrade from Snow Leopard (which is what I have) you will have to buy Lion first before you can upgrade to Mountain Lion. :(

Apple hasn't officially announced anything, so they were just guessing (and probably incorrectly.)

For all we know, ML will be free for Lion users...

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Where did you read/hear that, please?:confused:

I was saying that we have no idea what ML will cost; they might just upgrade the Lion download to ML on the App Store, and anyone who bought Lion on the MAS will get a free upgrade. Or, they may drastically reduce the price to $10, who knows. Annual OS X upgrades are new, so Apple could do anything.

LDS Guy 1986

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
North Carolina
Hello All!

Will I be able to upgrade Directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion without going through Lion?

Thanks in advance

Apple announced on July 11, 2012 that Snow Leopard and Lion can upgrade to Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store!

----------

From the MAS no, but I bet if you have a thumb drive version you can.

NO this is incorrect regardless of if you go from Mac App Store for $30 OR pay the $70 for the Thumb drive you STILL need Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later to upgrade to Lion.

Apple has NEVER supported upgrades that skipped over an OS version UNTIL 10.8 Mountain Lion (think the reasoning behind it is 10.8 and 10.7 will have similar firmware)

The only way to install 10.7 on a Machine that ran 10.5 is to clean install which means you have to erase the Macintosh HD partition first then install from the Thumb drive, after install you can restore your data from Time Machine or another backup.

The reason why skipping over versions is not doable for an update is that you are skipping firmware (and in some cases software) that is probably needed in order to do the upgrade in the first place.

The reason why a clean install works where an upgrade will not is you are erasing everything back to default and starting form scratch!

----------

Which sucks as I am unemployed. Yes I know its not a MASSIVE amount of money, but its money that I cant afford/justify at this time. :(

So I guess for me anyway I will be sticking with Snow Leopard for a bit longer.

I apologize for what the Apple Store falsely told you until Apple announces anything ARS and AppleCare (whom I work for) have no ideas just like the public has no idea.

I have been telling my customers that ask that Apple has not made any official announcements so while 10.7 required 10.6.6 or later to install, we do not yet know the software requirements for 10.8 Mountain Lion and to keep checking on apple.com/Mac OS X to find out more information as it is officially released.

Good news is that Today (June 11) apple announced that 10.6 and 10.7 can upgrade to 10.8 this July from MAS for 19.99!!

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Hello All!

Thanks in advance

Yes of course you can, it was confirmed on the Keynote.. So If you have Snow Leopard you can upgrade for $19.99

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.