will I be able to use verizon or sprint or other carrier on a GSM jailbroken iphone 3

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sossity, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I read that at&t will be merging with t-mobile, & I fear that I would be forced to go with at&t, I dont like them, I would rather go to some other carrier.

right now I want to use an iphone with t-mobile. So when the merge happens, would I be able to go to another carrier besides at&t?

2. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

well I wonder if a jailbroken iphone is a good investment, as when the merger happens, I dont want to be forced to go to a monthly or yearly contract with at&t. will I be able to keep my t-mobile pay as you go plan? where I refill minutes as I run out?

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Who knows what policy At&t or T-mobile will set when they merge? Your guess is as good as ours.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

If they Merge. it's not going to be a walk in the park merger. this would AT&T a very sizable market along with darn close too 100% of the US GSM Market. So it's likely there will be Monopoly talk!

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You do know that you can use the iPhone with at&t's pay as you go plan right?
    If you have an unlocked phone, you can use any carrier you please.
    FYI: JB allows you to unlock your phone, but not all JB phones are unlocked. You should research more in JB and unlocking. Alternatively, apple sells a factory unlocked iPhone.

7. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

What other GSM carriers are there after AT&T and T Mobile merge? None. If you are in the U.S. then you're stuck with AT&T.

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

H2O or Simple Mobile to name a couple.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

First you need to learn the difference between GSM and CDMA tech.
    You cant use GSM phones on CDMA networks like Verizon and Sprint.

10. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

FYI, H2O resells AT&T network access, Simple Mobile resells T-Mobile network access.

11. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Not only that, due to how CDMA works, it's not that simple to get a Verizon phone on sprint, if it's even (legally, and we're not talking mere copyright issues) possible.

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

There are regional carriers like cellular one, mid Tex cellular, etc.

I don't know about legalities, but companies like cricket and metro pcs are willing to add the cdma phone if you are willing to do it. If someone can convince a sprint person to add the imei, then you could conceivably get on sprint too.