Will I be getting an unlocked iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kobe24izzy, Apr 13, 2013.

1. kobe24izzy macrumors newbie

I got an iPhone 5 couple months back on eBay but before I bought it, it was on AT&T. The guy who I got it from said he would unlock it if I bought it (Which I did). Ever since then my phone has been working fine... Until now. My home button is not working and I'm planning to take it to the apple store today. But before I take it I wanna know if apple will give me a new unlocked iPhone or will I be getting an AT&T iPhone 5 and have to unlock it myself?

2. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Yes, the IMEI unlock should transfer to the new phone. Make sure however to mention that it is officially unlocked to the staff in the Apple Store.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

if it was officially unlocked by a proper carrier or apple themselves then yes, i suggest you get them to make sure when doing the swap though.

if it wasn't an official unlock, then most likely no, the unlock would not transfer because the unlock wouldn't be registered by with apple's system.

4. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Second party unlocks are however common, and cheap. Had my iPhone 5 unlocked before leaving New York 2 months ago. Left my iPhone for an afternoon at the shop, picked it up at 6pm. It cost me $20, and the thing works like a charm.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Those generally wont be carried over to the new phone, however. Only unlocks entered into iTunes by the original carrier are carried over to the new handset.

6. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Yes, true, I was simply putting out that iPhones are in fact pretty simple to unlock–think this might help the thread starter! :)
    Funny thing is, At&t sent me to that Manhattan shop, I was quite surprised. When I asked the guy at the counter how he could get At&t to send me here, he simply answered: "don't ask" and winked his eye. :D

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is false.
    Those unlocks are still carried over to the replacement phone also.
    Ask many people that got their iphone unlocked by unlock fusion/swiftunlocks and they will confirm.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Swift unlocks/unlock fusion are done by a carrier (albeit unofficially). If he had to leave it with the shop this suggests that it wasn't an IMEI unlock.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, but again we don't know what they did when he left it there.
    They could just IMEI unlocked it using swiftunlocks for $2 and then charged him $20;)

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I think the take gone point here is that it is likely an official unlock, but we can't be sure. Isn't there a way to check a serial online or something?

11. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Not reliably. Apple stores can tell you once they've put the serial in, and I believe AppleCare can do the same thing.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So wouldn't that be the safest bet then? Seems like the answer to the OP's worries.

13. CKohkah macrumors 6502

I took my unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 to the apple store a few weeks ago to get replaced. The home/sleep button stopped working. They replaced it no problem. I was worried I wouldn't get one that was unlocked back since I bought my unlock through swift unlocks.

Anyway, I restored the phone and nothing. No screen that said your iPhone is unlocked or anything. I bought another imei unlock and still, nothing in iTunes when I restore.

Today, my sister brought me her t-mobile nano sim to try and sure enough, The iPhone 5 is unlocked. Everything worked. But why wouldn't I get the unlocked message in iTunes like before? Did they change things? I was able to place calls and grab the new t-mobile carrier settings and everything. What gives?

14. AFDoc macrumors 68030

They absolutely will as it is an official unlock. It just wasn't done officially but apple's system has no way of knowing that. These things are done by people that work for the cell carriers not some Russian hacking club.