Will I get a decent picture when connecting MBP through a VGA to Video converter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blueharvester, Nov 4, 2009.

1. blueharvester macrumors regular

I want to connect my Unibody MBP to an old Toshiba RPTV via VGA to S-Video so that I can use FrontRow to view multimedia content on a big screen.

I know that I will need to get a Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter and then run that output through a PC to TV Converter.

A converter like this one states that it only supports 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 display modes. If the converter is outputting a 1024x768 then I guess I'm going to have to stretch the screen and thus I will loose some quality, right?

I guess my overall question is - is the picture going to be any good i.e. would it be comparable to watching a DVD through the same TV?

2. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I would suggest just getting a cheap monitor to do that. You can get decent sized ones for a steal now. Every time you switch a connection you degrade the quality, and S-Video isn't stellar to begin with. I can't give you a definite answer as I have never tried. Best case scenario you get it, try it, and then return the cable if you aren't satisfied? :)

3. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't really want to get a monitor as the Toshiba RPTV is 42" and don't really want anything smaller.