Will I have to buy a new cable if I get a SSD for my MBP (Early 2008)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shady IIV, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Shady IIV macrumors newbie

Hi,

This is the laptop that I have: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...ore-2-duo-2.5-15-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

I'm about to order a small SSD to put into my old MBP (I want to replace the main HDD) and wondered if I need to get a SATA II cable, too.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I've read somewhere that the laptop has a SATA II connection, but the HDD is SATA I. So I'm guessing it uses a SATA I cable and that would be a bottleneck for my SSD.

Please let me know:

Right/Wrong/ManYouAreConfused

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No you won't need a new cable. The SATA I/II/III cables are the same, it is just the computer's chipset that is newer to support the faster SATA speeds.

3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I dropped an SSD in the HD bay of the 17 inch version of that computer with no issues. Just don't waste your money on a SATA3 drive as you won't use that speed. As stated, the cable is the same.

Dale

4. Shady IIV thread starter macrumors newbie

Had no idea they use the same cables. I thought it's more like USB where the cables are different - but of course would work anyway (just slower...).

So thanks a lot!

True, - I have to reapply the thermal paste and thought I'll do a small budget upgrade.

I just buy a cheap 128 GB SSD.

I also ordered a optical drive caddy from china that will arrive later - once that is here I'll put the HDD back in to.

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

You will max that 128 out in no time flat. I did. My system keeps telling me my drive is full and it's not lying, either. Grab a 240 if you can. I have one right here. Just need the time to install it.

Be careful you get the right optical bay caddy for that year system. Check the specs for it on Everymac.com Mine has a PATA connector for the optical bay and I needed a caddy with an adapter to move the SATA HD over there. The unibody models have SATA connections for the optical drive and will direct connect to a platter HD. Good news is that it works.

Don't trust me on that without checking for yourself. Maybe it was the optical drive that had a PATA connector and wouldn't work in the SATA enclosure I bought for it. The connector in the computer might be SATA, which will hook right up to the HD.

Dale