Will I lose iPhone app data if I try to move a phone onto a new iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WestonHarvey1, Jun 30, 2010.

1. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

So I have a 3GS. It's host iTunes computer died and there are no backups.

I wanted to get it synced up again without losing anything so I attached it to a new Mac. Every step along the way it threatened to wipe everything out if I synced.

I logged into iTunes store using the same account the other one was, then I did transfer purchases. This got the songs and apps into iTunes. So far so good.

Then I went into syncing options for calendars and contacts and they got imported into iCal and Address Book. Syncing stopped threatening to delete everything, and everything *seems* ok.

Now here's my problem - I want to upgrade to iOS 4. But when trying to do this, I get more scary messages about it wiping out my phone. At no point during this processes did I ever become confident that this iPhone really "belongs" to this Mac's iTunes. I am worried that it is more of a guest.

Even though I have all my songs and apps, I don't know what the state of all my application data will be - all those stored passwords, game progress, weight loss logs - I have no idea if those things are going to just disappear after I upgrade.

I haven't been able to find an answer to this question - not one that addresses the safety of my app data.

Anyone know?

2. siafu macrumors newbie

You can plug your iphone into itunes right click on the phone and choose backup!! this will create a backup of your phone. you can email apple to allow you a one time dowload of all apple puchases. my house burned down and i lost everything. i wrote apple and they allowed me a onetime download of everything that i had every purchased.

this is your only solution. keep copies of your backups on a usb drive next time. its cheap and easy.

hope this helps

3. pmritchie macrumors newbie

iTunes syncing with iPhone 4 issues

whenever i go to plug my iphone in to get music on my iphone, the only thing itunes does is recognize it. it doesn't give me any other options.. i've tried this on several of my pc's..

i got it to sync once, and now everytime i go back to that same computer all itunes does is put the name of the phone on the side bar and then the screen just says "iPhone"...

any ideas?