Will I lose movie rental when I update?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcfly2, Nov 22, 2010.

1. mcfly2 macrumors member

When I start the IOS 4.2 update on my iPad, I get the following message:

"There are rentals on the iPad "my ipad". You should transfer these movies to your iTunes library before updating this iPad. Are you sure you want to continue?"

I do have a movie rental on the iPad that I haven't started watching. I haven't pulled the trigger on the update yet. As far as I know, there is no way to transfer movie rentals from an iPad. And I have a feeling I'll lose my movie if I do the update. Am I missing something? Is there a way to do the update without losing the movie?

2. rwmson macrumors newbie

In iTunes, click on your iPad and select the Movies tab. There you will be able to move your rental to your PC.

3. tangible macrumors newbie

Not correct, I believe

Have you actually tried this, or just putting out a theory? Rentals cannot be transferred from iPad to pc last I checked. If you have a way to do it please advise.

I am in the same position as the original poster, and curious to know if the upgrade will actually erase my unwatched rentals.

4. mcfly2 thread starter macrumors member

The movie rental is not available on the Movies tab. The searching I've done indicates that movie rentals cannot be transferred from an iPad to iTunes.

So to rephrase my question, has anyone that has updated either lost or not lost movie rentals?

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

Movie rentals are linked to your accunt just like apps, not your iPad. You can redownload the movie, if lost, and it won't charge you. Is the rental lost when you update? No, it shouldn't be. I updated and didn't lose mine neither did I turn on my iPad to see that my apps running in background (updated from beta) were closed.

6. Fuzz1812 macrumors newbie

I upgraded last night, and my unwatched movie rental is still there today.

7. tangible macrumors newbie

I asked and got a reply from Apple support via email. The link they sent doesn't work, and I don't actually understand what he is saying, but fwiw here it is:

Hi, my name is Kevin, I'm with iTunes Store Customer Support and I am happy to assist you. I understand that you would like to transfer your movie rentals from your iPad to your computer before updating to iOS 4.2. I know you are concerned that you may lose your rentals and I'm happy to help.

This article may help to resolve the issue:

iTunes Store: Movie rental frequently asked questions (FAQ)
    https://idesk.corp.apple.com/portal/auth/portal/view?articleID=HT1657

You will note under the heading "Can I play my rental on more than one device", that once a movie has been rented from your iPad, it is not transferrable to your computer.

Charlie, if you are unable to watch the rental of "Get Him to The Greek", or if you lose the rental in the process, just reply to let me know, and I would be happy to help. : )

8. watergirl411 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem upgrading to iOS5 last night. 4 rented movies...gone! How did you contact iTunes support?

9. mcfly2 thread starter macrumors member

Did you read the thread before responding? The problem is that you cannot transfer a movie rental that was rented on the iPad, from the iPad to any other device.

10. tangible macrumors newbie

@watergirl

My experience was over a year ago, and I don't remember how I contacted them. Sorry..

You should ignore the people who chime in to tell you to copy the rental to your PC. That's not possible.

Best of luck.