Will I notice and going from a 2013 11" air to 2014 13" pro 2.8ghz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Bottomsup, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Bottomsup macrumors regular

Turbo is about the same for both of them despite the base clock being 2.8 on the pro

2. motrek macrumors 68020

Doubt it. I seriously don't have any idea what the base clock speed even means on modern Intel chips. The 1.4GHz CPU in my 2014 MBA seems to run at anything but 1.4GHz.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

4. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

As I've often posted elsewhere, I noticed the lag ... and if you're using CC or CS6 apps, you may as well. I sold the 13" rMBP and went back to my 11" MBA as my travel laptop.

5. Bottomsup thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry mostly email work productivity office stuff

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

For office and email any macbook sold today will work equally fine.
    The mba will run cooler.

I have to apologize for having to add this, but it is really beyond me what makes people who run the most basic of apps (office, email, browsing) think that they need to occupy themselves with geeky specs like clockspeed and the sort. Go to the :apple: store and pick any device with an ssd in it. It will run those apps exactly equally fast. If it slows down for some reason your problem will be software related and an OS reinstall will always take care of it.

7. cycledance Suspended

stop pretending that you do then. and stop misinforming people on this board all the time.

to op: yes you will notice it. and games become playable with a 2.8ghz chip.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

No, he won't.

9. motrek macrumors 68020

Your posts are quickly going from adorably misinformed and overconfident to simply annoying.

Question: did you bother to download Intel Power Gadget?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I can give you first hand experience. I went from a 2013 13" Air (same CPU as the 11" you have) to the 2014 Retina and I can tell zero difference as far as speeds in day to day operations. Sounds like our usage pattern is similar.

Meister and motrek know what they are talking about.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Indeed. Why everybody lies? In the dark hours they know they are playing games 20 hours/day. :rolleyes:

12. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

What are you using the system for? That will determine whether or not you will "notice the difference" between the two...

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

here you go:

14. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Thanks - completely missed that one. :)

15. Woochoo macrumors 6502

The MBA is 1,4GHz at base speed, but it goes up to 2,7GHz any time it's needed, so the base speed means almost nothing (related to the "performance limits" of the CPU).
    The 2,8GHz rMBP goes up to... 3,3Ghz or so? I don't remember exactly, but if it's like this, 0,6GHz will only make difference in heavy intensive long tasks, but no difference in email and casual usage since those tasks can be done even at a really low clockspeed.

The main thing you will see as a difference is that the 2,8GHz model has 512GB of SSD, faster than the 128GB and a bit more than the 256. And obviously having more capacity.

P.D: first time I agree with Motrek and Meister... really weird.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

There is always a first time ;)

----------

Actually he will not see any difference between the 128, 256 or 512 ssds, except for their capacity.
    All three have about the same iops, so the only slightly noticable difference would be when moving large amounts of files from drive to drive. Not something most people do a lot ...

17. flur macrumors 68000

Sure you'll notice a difference. You'll feel all that extra weight in your bag when you're toting the thing around. ;)