Will I receive a replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mGrunin, Oct 28, 2012.

1. mGrunin macrumors newbie

Ever since last night my iPhone 5 has been stuck on the apple logo while booting up. I am restarted it many times & restored it but nothing works. No matter what I do I can't get it past this screen.

It's less than 30 days since I've received my iPhone, will AT&T be willing to replace it on the spot?

2. itjw macrumors 65816

Is it damaged? Water indicator inside the Sim tray triggered?

If not then yup, they'll replace it.

If you dropped it in the toilet and can't get it off that screen then nope. Poopy phone for you.

Should be fine if it really wasn't your fault. They'll inspect it and get you a new one.

And Apple, not AT&T, will be replacing it now

3. mGrunin thread starter macrumors newbie

Shoot, have to travel all the way out to the city for the nearest Apple store. With the hurricane hitting us soon, it's probably crazy out there.

I didn't drop it in water but yesterday I rested it on a very slight waterly surface. Basically the water that is found around your bathroom sink. I know that my camera was foggy for a few hours afterwards but then it came back to normal. Several hrs later though it went into this loop.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

AT&T wouldn't replace mine.

My iPhone 5 arrived dead out of the box, on launch day (last month).

They made me make a Genius Bar appointment at Apple (who replaced it on the spot).

Older iPhones had moisture sensors in the headphone jack and around the dock connector that would turn pink/red if they had come in contact with moisture. IMO, they were hard to see, unless you beamed a flashlight up the port/connector. Anyhow, if the iPhone 5 has the same sensors, you can check yourself to see if Apple would consider it water damaged or not.

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

They might just put it in DFU mode and restore it

if the genius guy/at&t guy knows about it
    if not then they'll say "hmm what do you guys think of this" and if they don't know the DFU mode either then they'll just replace it.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

In other words you caused water damage to it and now expect AT&T or apple to give you another one:rolleyes:

7. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Obvious water damage. Whether they replace it or not depends on if the water hit the sensors.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Looks like water damage (sensor is in the sim tray slot on the iP5). If you purchased with a credit card that offers 90-day accidental damage protection, file a claim for an out of warranty replacement.

9. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

didn't see the part about water damage, if you have ac+ get that $50 in your hand.

10. mGrunin thread starter macrumors newbie

I just took it to a local shop. They opened the sim tray and we checked for the water indicator. The indicator is completely white. They'll open it up and take a look at and get back to me on Tuesday. Wouldn't be able to hit the Apple store till Wednesday either way.

11. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

They'll probably try restoring your phone to see if that fixes it first.

12. mGrunin thread starter macrumors newbie

The amount of water on the counter was about the size of 2 quarters. Literally 2-3 drops of water. Nothing crazy.

If the phone shop opens up the phone and says that the motherboard was somehow fried then I'll have no problem going in and buying another one. I'm not looking for a handout but at the same time I want to make sure that there weren't mechanical problems with phone out of the box that led to a premature problem.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If the indicator is white, you don't want them to mess with it by opening it up (which can potentially void the warranty). You'll have no problem swapping it out under warranty if the water sensors aren't triggered.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Doubt it. Like you said it got wet, the camera was foggy cause of condensation in there and then it shorted out and you got stuck at the apple logo.
    Hope they hook you up but if the moist sensors are pink they will charge you $229 to replace.