Will I retain user folders if I install OS 6 over OS 10.4?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Littledonald, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Littledonald macrumors newbie

I have OS 10.4. installed on an external drive.

I want to upgrade the drive to OS 6. But I want to retain the user folders and other data I currently have on that drive.

If I install OS 6 will my folder and data be erased or will everything remain intact except what is needed to install the new system?

My understanding is that there is no Archive and Install option in OS 6. And I know I can always back up what I want to keep to another drive

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'm assuming that when you refer to "OS 6" that you mean Mac OS X 10.6, or Snow Leopard.

That being said if you're running Tiger you'll first need to make sure that your computer can even run 10.6. Only the first gen Intel Macs came with Tiger and can be updated to Snow Leopard. If your machine is PowerPC you're out of luck as the only upgrade option you have is 10.5.

If your machine is an Intel Mac and can run 10.6, then rest assured that the absence of the "Archive and install" option in the Snow Leopard installer won't affect you. By default the installer just upgrades and installs the new system files and leaves your user data intact.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, 'cause there was, like, a real OS6 back in the last century. :D

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You mean System 6?

OP, just running the installer normally will preserve all your files and simply replace the OS itself.

jW

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, yeah, you're right. They named it differently back then. But of course, that's what the 'S' stands for.