Will I see an increase in performance: 2GB to 8GB of RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seong, Jul 18, 2011.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Hey guys, I've just posted a thread about buying the 8GB RAM upgrade for my Mac, and I'm convinced enough to buy the Corsair 8GB of RAM. Now, as you can see in my sig, will upgrading to 8GB from 2GB RAM will increase performance? I sometimes use FinalCut Pro X and Motion 5 for video/DVD projects and Photoshop/InDesign for school magazine, plus some Starcraft 2 gaming.
    Also, I've read from one of the thread that upgrading the RAM to 8GB will increase the VRAM of the integrated GPU (such as nVidia 9400m or Intel HD300.) Is it true? If yes, will it mean that I have a better, if not, slightly, better GPU performance compared to what I had before?

Thanks in advance :)

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, you should see a noticeable difference in performance, especially with FCP. As for increasing VRAM performance, no not really.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'd certainly recommend going for 4GB given what you do. 8GB would be good too if it isn't that much more expensive.

The 9400M has a maximum amount of RAM it can use (256MB). However, having more RAM will mean the 9400M will be able to address that maximum without reducing system performance. So you may see a small improvement, but not much.

4. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

I wanted to get the 4GB as well, but I couldn't find the right RAM on Amazon Japan, and plus, even if I found one, it would most likely be sold by a third part seller, which means I can't choose an option for Cost on Delievery. I can't use credit card. Not yet ;)