will I see any performace improvements with 6gb of RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HiFiGuy528, Mar 9, 2010.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am on 4gb RAM now. Will I see any performance increase with 6GB? Will I get more bang for the buck upgrading the HD to SSD? Thanks guys!

2. man02195 macrumors regular

check your page ins/ page outs and see if you have a lot of page outs. If you do, then 6gb will help you.

3. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Going from 4 to 6GB RAM? Eh, you're probably not memory-limited at this point... I'd go with the SSD, personally (depending on your storage requirements).

4. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am asking because my Mac Mini has one dead 2GB RAM so I want to pull out one from my 13" MBP to use in the Mini. I was thinking of a 4GB RAM chip instead of buying another 2GB to put in the MBP since 2GB is on its way out in the market.

How do I check the page in/out?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What are you using your computer for?

Do you typically run a lot of apps at once? It all depends on how you use your computer as to whether you'll see a benefit. If you only run a couple of apps, then the answer is probably no.

6. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I run VMware fusion 3.02 with Windows 7 in a virtual machine. When I had only 2 gig of RAM I had a lot of trouble with both Windows' speed and stability. Recently, however I increased my MBP's RAM from 2 to 6 gig. The improvement was so dramatic that I now routinely run Fusion in Unity mode so that I may reach ever Windows application from the OS X desktop. I have no idea whether this would have been possible had I upgraded my RAM from 2 to only 4 gig.

I have had no personal experience with SSD drives. My research, however, has convinced me that one would provide a significant performance boost, albeit as a very steep price. For the moment, at least, SSDs have not reached a price point to make me seriously consider buying one.

7. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

What generation is your MacBook Pro? Depending how old it is, it may not support more than 4GB memory anyway. If it can support >4GB, then it's a judgment call based on checking the page outs in activity monitor as has already been suggested and considering the price difference between a 2GB and 4GB DIMM. If it's a small price difference and the machine supports the extra, may as well do it anyway.

8. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

All but a few MBPs, even the early ones, will support 6 gig of ram. OCW's Web site will help you to determine which models support 6 gig and which only 4 gig of RAM.

9. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am on the newest 13" MBP so it should support up to 8GB RAM.

From my research, one 4GB RAM stick cost about $130. I know I can get a 2GB stick for a lot less, but since I can upgrade to 8GB in the future it would be wiser to get 4GB now and add another 4GB later, right?

I also have a OCZ 30gb Vertex Turbo around the house. I have two hard drives bay in the MBP so I can put the OS on the SSD and the files on 500GB HD.

Your thoughts on the setup?

10. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Where can you get a 4GB module for $130? Are you sure the one you're looking at is compatible with your MBP? OWC has it for $186.99 and Newegg has "Apple" RAM from $199.

It's not that I'm doubting you, I'm actually curious where you're seeing 4GB modules for $130... even the cheapest laptop 4GB module for PCs that I've found so far starts at $169.99 (Newegg).

11. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

12. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I felt sure that you were aware of the situation. I posted as I did only to make sure that the OP knew to check OWC or a similar site to confirm how much RAM his machine was capable of handling.

13. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

eBay has 4gb Samsung RAM for about $100-$140.

I need to update by sig, sorry.

14. revs macrumors regular

I would highly suggest a SSD - costs more than RAM, but the speed increase is amazing! My 3 -4 yr old MBP with a SSD feels and does most things faster than my brothers new MBP (non-SSD)

SSDs are probably the best upgrade I have ever come across

15. shadygrove macrumors regular

There is a video around the internet somewhere that shows two identical computers, one with a HDD and the other with a SSD both launching the same 10 applications at once. The computer with the SSD was significantly faster.

It's my understanding from reading this forum, blogs, and other sources from the internet is that upgrading to a SSD is the most significant upgrade you can do.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For improving IO bound transactions. Once the data/application is in ram, there's no benefit. Also the cost per gigabyte is excessively high. While I'll not counter the fact that SSDs are much much faster the HDs the question is whether they're worth the cost at this stage.

Many people don't need that type of speed, especially for the price, many folks just use their laptops for surfing the intarweb and writing documents.

17. Freyqq macrumors 68040

you'd lose dual channel..so unless if you actually need 6 gb of ram, it would actually slow you down slightly

18. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

SSD would be nice, but as of now the price to performance ratio is wayyyy off.. they are still too expensive for the performance boost they give.. Unless of course you have an extra $800 just waiting to be spent, then I'd say jump all over the SSD...

19. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

You have a point there.

Should I just buy another 4GB RAM and install the OCZ Vertex Turbo SSD I have sitting around the house?

20. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

True, but the speed loss from dual channel is only minor, he would also gain speed from having the extra GB's..

If you only ever use one or two small programs and keep the total RAM consumption below 4 GB, then you won't see much, if any benefit from the extra GBs. Where the 6 GB configuration gains speed is when you are multitasking heavily so you exceed 4GB of RAM usage, and when you use programs such as Photoshop, VMWare, graphics, digital audio and digital video programs, all of which benefit from more than 4 GB RAM.

21. westmeetseast macrumors newbie

6Gb

I added a 2gb stick to my iMac base model (fall2009) to bring it up to 6gb total.
    I have to say, it feels much more responsive

22. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I completely agree in regards to the last sentence. The price point is absolutely an issue, as is the lack of support from the OS X perspective (no TRIM, though garbage collection helps). Still, I will say that having experienced an SSD installed in one of my MBP's, I will say that the performance increase is nothing less than jaw-dropping. It is the most fundamental performance upgrade available to us. It simply alters how you feel about your machine's performance in a rather dramatic way.

23. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

It is absolutely akin to getting a new machine. Bottom line.