Will I still be able to renew the battery of my ipad2 in 3 years ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by interinfo, Jun 5, 2012.

1. interinfo macrumors regular

Has apple a cut-off time for this ?

Can you still renew the battery of the iPad1 ?

2. interinfo thread starter macrumors regular

3. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

If its out of warranty, no. I believe apple care that you purchase only lasts one additional year, so 2 years tops.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Warranty = yes
    Otherwise, third party will offer batteries.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I would hope that in another 3 years time, apps written by then will have advanced to the stage that it's impractical to even consider running them on an iPad1

And I have an iPad 1

I don't want models and apps in 3 years time to be held back by needing to be compatible with my, by then, steam engine of a tablet.

6. drambuie macrumors 6502a

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I wonder about this, for I have had a very hard time getting laptop batteries (planned obsolescence...). Does anybody know how hard it would be to change an iPad battery?

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

You have to dissemble the iPad from the top so you have to remove the screen to get to the battery. For $99 send it to Apple.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

There is no time limitation on Apple's Battery Replacement program. For any iPad beyond its warranty Apple will replace the battery for $99. The caveat is that it has to be at or below 50% capacity. We have iPad 1s at our house that were purchased on the release date that still have fairly high battery life. If that changes in a year or more we will still have the opportunity to buy a replacement through Apple.

10. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

lol that wouldnt be wise. can you imagine if all computers worked the same way by your logic? my xbox 360 is over 3 years old, i really hope the games are still compatible when i buy the new xbox..

and you should add more stuff to your signature of what kewl electronic things you own, t.v., radio, toaster, refrigerator, microwave, handmixer, furby, t.i.-83 calculator. george foreman grill, calculator watch. portable dvd player

11. TheKricket macrumors member

That is actually the way all computers work. Either you upgrade your computer - or you can no longer take advantage of new apps/games/programs/etc. He didn't say that he didn't want his old programs to still work on his machine - he said he didn't want NEW app development to be held back by developing something for 3 year old tech...

You think the new Diablo, Crysis, BF3 games, etc will work on some old Packard Bell computer? Nope.

Your Xbox example - were you around when the 360 came out? There was TALK of backwards compatibility - and in fact, a few games worked - but for the most part - it was a no go. MS stopped supporting backwards compatibility altogether. And will those Xbox 360 games work on a standard Xbox? Heck no.

Don't be surprised at all if your 360 games won't work in the new Xbox - if history acts as any sort of gauge - they won't...

Believe me - I hope they do allow for backwards compatibility - but if they do - THAT will be the rare circumstance...

EDIT - and FOR SURE - the new Xbox games will not work on the Xbox 360 (that's the closest analogy here)...

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

My iPad is now 2 years old, so in another 3 years time (the original posting) my iPad will be 5 years old.

Do I still want them to be writing software for iPad 6 that has to still run ok on iPad1. Nope. I want iPad 6 software to need an iPad 6 in order to run it.

If you have not upgraded computer hardware in half a decade then really you should consider yourself lucky if you can run anything graphics wise that comes out half a decade later.

Remember, I come from the generation where you threw EVERYTHING out at every model change, as computers were not compatible. And we saw teriffic growth in the past as they were able to start with a totally clean sheet of paper with each new computer they built.

Backwards compatibility is a bit of a bonus, and if you update models every single year, then sure, you can't expect people to dump hardware after 12 months. But 5 years.... Yes.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

The iPad will not stop working even if it won't support the latest software. It will still function as an ereader and the apps that work today will continue to work today.

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed yes, you are quite right.
    Just like an Xbox will still play Xbox software, and an old apple 2 will still run old apple 2 software.

It will be interesting to see how they hold a full "proper" OS off the iPad when it becomes as powerful or more powerful than a current top end MacBook in say 5 or 10 years time.

The screen size and no physical input control may become the weak link in the chain after many years.

15. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i understand on 5 years, but there is no need to cut out compatibility out completely. youre still to this day able to run xp apps on 7. you can make more demanding apps, if users want to use those, then they will upgrade their hardware.

im prolly from the same generation as you, and have gotten a new iphone every year since the launch of them. and apple has been very well at keep their "older" products up to day. i believe the original iphone stopped being compatible on ios4?

i mean apple is just now killed rosetta out of their systems. I guess what im getting at is that you can come out with new state of the art operating systems, but still allowing it to run older applications.

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Just to clarify.
    I have no problem with backwards compatibility, of course it's a good thing.

However I suspect in many situations needing to keep backwards compatibility, to keep past product owners happy, can slow down development of new products.

Such as Intel with the i86 chips. right back to the 8086
    I suspect we could well be a lot further along now if they could of started with a clean sheet of paper every year (or every few years) as opposed to trying to make things fast whilst still not breaking things from working on old systems.
    And the same for Windows itself, how Windows has to run on an amazing amount of hardware reliably. It's an amazing feat of programming that anyone can throw many millions of permutations of hardware together, install the DVD and within 30 mins have a perfectly running and stable computer.

17. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yup and the same goes for Windows. We could have been on a full bore 64Bit OS with no registry and new file system if it were not for all the legacy apps that require it.

18. interinfo thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want to wait till it is at 50 % or less, is it possible to get a third party doing this ? Wich one ?

19. Rodster macrumors 68040

Honestly whoever does it, it will be close to $99 and i'd rather let Apple handle that. ;)

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

im still working on my time machine, will let you know asap!

21. Rodster macrumors 68040

One I forgot to mention is that an independent shop may not use the same batteries that Apple uses. If that's a concern, that's another reason to go with Apple.