Will iOS 6 and the next gen iphone be 'worth' the upgrade for an iPhone 4s User?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by superstrongboy, Jun 13, 2012.

1. superstrongboy macrumors member

Currently i have the iPhone 4s, and i'm looking to upgrade my phone since im bored of the iOS UI (been years, same UI!).

Will the iOS 6 bring any thing radically different in the UI? And will the next gen iPhone be worth waiting or is it just going to be a bigger screen and a spec upgrade?

2. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Turn by turn navigation is pretty cool.

Honestly though, you could still be using an iPhone 3GS as an efficient and fast smartphone now a days- so the choice is up to you. It's worth it to some people but maybe from an objective standpoint it doesn't really matter!

3. superstrongboy thread starter macrumors member

Well, i don't really care about the maps im fine with any kind, either android, iOS5 or iOS 6 so its not a big issue for me.

I know even the 3gs is capable, but my phone entertains me so i like widgets, new themes, and blah blah changing it every now and then so that i dont get bored :p

So what im sayin, i guess, is that apart from the basic functionalities, im looking to be entertained by my phone (if you know what i mean) so does it look like the ios 6 will be just more than a very minor tweak in the UI and some other added features?

4. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I for one can't help but think the leaked parts are either fake or purposely leaked by Apple to throw us completely off the trail of the real iPhone that will be coming out. If not, my 4S on iOS 6 will be more than enough to keep until next year. But I'm hoping Apple was holding back on iOS 6 and will show us a completely new iPhone that will make us pick our jaws up off the floor.

5. fridayxiii macrumors member

I'm guessing you're tired of the "look & feel" of iOS, which I highly doubt will change much with 6. I don't expect widgets or live tiles. Maybe changes to some functions like alerts or notifications, new Maps & expanded Siri usage but if you're bored with the look, I doubt iOS 6 will do it for you.

Nobody really knows the hardware specs yet, but the 4S is a pretty good device. Will the next gen hardware be markedly better? Hard to say just yet.

I have the 4S too, and my stance is if AT&T offers me another early upgrade as the did when the 4 came out, I'll take it. If I have to pay full price I'll have to re-evaluate based on the specs & features we know nothing of just yet.

6. cynics macrumors G3

From what I've seen and read don't expect and radical changes to the OS and UI of it. If your bored with it try something else out for a bit. I'm still loving ICS, at the same time I appreciate the simplicity of iOS.

7. sixteen12 macrumors regular

Then get an android phone. We don't know what the next phone will be, but it won't have widgets or other things you consider "fun".

Get a Galaxy S 3 or One X and enjoy it or don't.

8. superstrongboy thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i do appreciate the simplicity of it but i've grown bored of it tbh.

yeah that's what i was leaning towards, i played with a one x and it seems like it's pretty smooth, as smooth as iOS, so i might go for that or an s3

9. superstrongboy thread starter macrumors member

thats why i'm kinda hesitant switching phones because i'm like what if they introduce a totally different phone with special features of iOS 6 only for that phone where the UI is revamped?

but then the other hand im like uhhh not gonna happen cuz apple takes pride in keeping it uniform across most of their devices and iOS6 doesnt seem too different from 5, so might as well switch right now instead of watiin

10. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Not gonna happen.
    At most they'll introduce a couple tweaks that will be "only possible" on the iPhone 5 (or "new iPhone") to lure customers and that's it.

To be honest, what breaks your jaw in excitement?
    Technology doesn't change that radically, unless NEW products are introduced to the market (tablets anyone?) that change the game.
    I don't even know what should be next, brain controlled devices? Telekinesis? Virtual Reality?
    Except for that don't expect anything groundbreaking, just faster/bigger things (faster CPU, bigger RAM, faster GPU, bigger Flash Memory).

Not so say iOS 6 and the new tweaks don't seem interesnting, just saying that you seem to be in the verge of "wait, what if they release something that changed technology forever" but nope, this is just a new iPhone.

For more freedom on UI, as you say yourself, there is Android. It's a good choice too so I'd just get the S3 or something similar.

11. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

You should probably get outside more often.

12. superstrongboy thread starter macrumors member

LMAO you got me

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I don't see that happening. I'm pretty sure the leaked images are accurate, but even if not there's not going to be a huge eye popping redesign. I mean look at how much things have changed from the original iPhone to now. Slightly thinner, different materials, exactly the same in every other way.

I also don't see them revamping the UI just for the new iPhone... that doesn't make any sense. If the screen is longer (like the rumors) they will most likely just add a single row of icons. Are you hoping Apple would use that new area at the top for some sort of widgets or extra functionality? There's not a very high probability of that.

Although I do kinda feel bad for you that your phone needs to excite you... I just want to use my phone to accomplish things, I let me life excite me.

14. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

I highly doubt apple will do a drastic change. You have two options.

A. Jailbreak
    B. Get an android

15. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I agree with this

I don't think apple would release a 2 tone product. To me it looks awful.

As for upgrades from a 4s; year on year iPhones have the odd neat new feature. I only upgrade because i buy outright and i'm a bit geeky and like the latest gadgets.

I'm probably in a minority of people who don't want the UI and functionality to change much.

I use mac, iPad and iPhone for personal and business and have spent quite a while perfecting a decent workflow. I've tried Android but the apple way, especially in the last year or so has made me a more efficient worker. I rely on my iPhone quite a lot for various things, a big UI overhaul and usability overhaul wouldn't be ideal as i don't like changing things drastically.

But cool stuff, evolving iOS like documents in the cloud, uploading images from safari and cloud tabs are just making the work flow even better.

16. superstrongboy thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i was hoping for that but i guess its not gonna happen soon.

As for the other part, i feel bad for myself because i have to rely on my phone to "excite" me, and my TV, computer, books, girlfriend, family, friends, hobbies such as muay thai, guitar etc. are not enough to keep me excited. /s :p

I already jailbroke my 4s, looong ago haha, and i might get an android.

Inb4 fanboys - no i dont hate apple. nor do i hate ios/iphones.

17. nostresshere macrumors 68030

As soon as Apple reveals the form factor,specs and cost - well, pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to answer this question.

And, even with that information, it will be a challenge to decide if it will be worth it to YOU vs others.

18. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Yeah nobody really knows but if LTE comes out... I think it might be worth it for certain users.