Carrier Will iP 5s from Tmobile be unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by srsub3, Sep 15, 2013.

1. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

Hi to everyone, long story here.
    I live far away from an Apple store and want an iPhone 5s on day 1. I am a visiting student and will leave US by December.... If I buy a full price iPhone from Tmobile store, will it be unlocked? Actually I am on a prepaid sim of theirs....

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Nope. The iPhones sold in T-Mobile stores are all locked to T-Mobile whether you pay full price for them or not.

Your options are to: order online or at an Apple store for an unlocked one
    or
    Buy the locked one from a T-Mobile store full price. They will unlock it for you after 40 days of service with them.

3. srsub3 thread starter macrumors 6502

srsub3

ok thanks... however chatting with apple store cs they said that tmobile ip5 is unlocked... what a mess!

4. curtoise macrumors 6502a

They've told me the same, the T-mobile iPhone 5s will be unlocked and fully functional on At&t too.

5. Shan S. macrumors member

So I just checked out the 5c carrier details page. It should be the same for the 5s

Take a look at this screenshot.. It is hard to 100% tell for sure, but it may be unlocked. The fine print at the bottom goes a bit into detail about the SIM.

[​IMG]

6. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

After visiting this: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ I got one question. What's the point of the A1533? Apparently the A1453 does support all the bands of the A1533. :confused:

Also, would a A1533 work in Germany or France? (They have the A1457)

7. tensiondeadache macrumors regular

I just ordered a T-Mobile iPhone 5C from Apple and the only options I had were for unlocked phones. Another reason TMO is the best.

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah they're unlocked if you buy them at the Apple store directly from Apple. The ones at the Tmobile stores are the ones that won't be unlocked.