Will iPhone 4 receive the new iOS 6 Apple Maps app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sensamic, May 19, 2012.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Since the iPhone 4 has not received Siri, could the same thing happen with the new Apple Maps app coming in iOS 6?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's a tough call.

In some cases Apple wants to keep new things on the newest phone just to make people upgrade.

But at this point in time I'm wondering if Apple will give the new Maps to every iPhone that can handle it as a way of showing it off to non iPhone users.

Perhaps they have a better chance of you convincing an Android friend to buy an iPhone than they do of convincing you to buy a new model.

I dunno. Just an idea. I'd say flip a coin at this point and that's as good an answer as any.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

4. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

They both most likely will in my opinion. The new maps is probably one of the main features of iOS 6

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Could the same happen? You bet. Will it? That's a tougher call. I personally feel that this would be Apple's chance to step away from Google. I am leaning towards Apple giving the new maps to all iPhones that they will be selling at the time (4, 4S, and the 4S successor).

6. newdeal macrumors 68020

New maps for everyone, turn by turn nav only for new iphone and you can talk to it without pressing any buttons to get traffic, route guidance, detours, speed limits, the weather etc. as long as it is in turn by turn mode siri will respond without a button press to verbal commands...only on the new iphone

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thanks Steve:D

8. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

This guy has it right.

9. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

4S people won't be happy either if only iPhone 5 gets turn by turn navigation.

10. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

If the main selling point on the iPhone "5" is turn by turn navigation then Apple is in a LOT of trouble. :D

11. newdeal macrumors 68020

Your holding it wrong

12. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

After all, the iPhone 4 people being upset at restricting Siri to 4S got Apple to enable Siri on my 4...

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

If they do launch a new maps app, I think it will be part of the next iOS, not a separate app.

I also highly doubt the 3Gs will support iOS 6 (or whatever major release is next). Sad to say the 3Gs is about to reach the end of its days, in my opinion.

14. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Well they should have waited for the iPhone 5 then like we told them to. The iPhone 4 didn't get Siri, so why should the iPhone 4S get a killer feature?

15. Planey28 macrumors 6502

The reason that Siri is exclusive to the 4S is due to it being a major selling point of the phone, and is one of the few things that separates it from the 4. Maps is hardly going to be a killer feature to keep exclusive to a new iPhone. I'm betting the 4 and 4S will both get the new maps.

16. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Then 4s people need to upgrade. I love how every iPhone owner expects them to update every phone with every new tweak that comes out. No reason they should support every iPhone forever. If the phone you have doesn't have the features you want change your phone. simple.

If you're going to use this very tired and lame response at least do it correctly.

17. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Most people are self-entitled whiny brats who think Apple is going to give them something for free because they seem "hip" and "modern" and "liberal" but they're just like any other corporation. Google wants your info and Apple wants your upgrade money.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Depends on whether this is an addition or replacement in iOS 6 for existing users.

If they 'replace' google maps with Apple Maps it should be for all. You can't compare it to Siri which was an 'addition' and nothing was actually removed from other users.

If they remove google maps from existing users and do not replace it with their own Apple Maps app, there will be an uproar - guaranteed.

So either previous owners will keep Google Maps whilst new get the Apple Maps, or we all get it.

19. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

The only reason I could come up with for not all phones getting the new maps app is processing, memory and data speed requirements for rendering 3D views (rumored, but let's assume it's going to be included). It might not be up to Apples standards for someone on a iPhone 4 to try and use the 3D feature with slower hardware and over 3G.

iOS 6 - All new Maps application - with 3D & turn by turn for New iPhone users on LTE. iPhone 4, 4s users get the familiar 2D interface with turn by turn.

20. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I'm assuming Once apple drops Google Maps, Google will turn around and have another one ready to go for iOS. I wonder how well it will work?

21. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Probably much better judging by how nice the Google search and Google+ apps have turned out.

22. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

If Monday's announcement is only for iOS 6, and not an iPhone 6 (remember, the iPhone 4S is the 5th generation iPhone), then yes, it will most likely get it.

However if a new iPhone is announced, this may not be the case. The 4S definitely will, though.

Apple tends to support one hardware model back for new software features for intermediate releases if they can (like, the 3G would never be able to orient the maps to the way you were facing because quite simply it lacked a compass). However if the feature is touted as being part of a new phone, they probably won't. Case in point: Siri. The iPhone 4 is perfectly capable of supporting Siri, but it's a 4S-feature.

23. Teamholmes86 macrumors newbie

Well there was I a iPhone 3G then a 3GS and Then a 4 and a 4s so I'm guessing the next one will be a iPhone 5 not 6

24. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

I'm gonna say yes but it won't have things like turn-by-turn.

25. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I see it more like this. Also keep in mind that if Apple names it iPhone 5 (or whatever) that's not a gen marker since no matter how you slice it the iPhone 3 was not a 3ed gen.

gen 1 - Original iPhone
    gen 2 - 3
    gen 2.5 - 3S
    gen 3 - 4
    gen 3.5 - 4S
    gen 4 - "next iPhone"