Will iPhone 5 have BETTER service range?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcdjgd1, Sep 20, 2012.

1. jcdjgd1 macrumors newbie

Will this phone be better at picking up either 3g or 4g service?

I would love to hear that there's a new piece of hardware (similar to the better Wi-Fi chip) that will increase the amount of bars I get. And if there is no hardware upgrade to do this, will the 4g network alone be better?

2. Kalvin00 macrumors regular

No one knows, but probably not. There is nothing magical in the new antenna.

4G may be better since it is a lower frequency, but again nobody knows yet, and that is area dependent.

3. jcdjgd1, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

jcdjgd1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is the 4g network easier to pick up/stronger than 3g? Has anyone noticed a difference when going from 3g to 4g phones?

On verizon's website it shows that I have full 4g LTE coverage, however, my area is notorious for being somewhat of a deadzone.

4. jcdjgd1 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

Anything will be better than my 3GS that obviously has either a crappy or damaged antennae :(

6. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

LTE can reach further distances than 3g signal, but it depends on how many/where the towers are.

There are usually always very slight improvements, but its been a long time since i noticed anything.

7. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

LTE theoretically has better wall penetration than HSPA does. HSPA is notorious for poor penetration. EDGE is better at penetration too.

8. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Wilson Sleek 4G-V for the win and your signal problems