WILL iPhone 5 sprint have wimax? or just 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iRetard, Sep 19, 2012.

1. iRetard macrumors newbie

Because I live in new york and it doesn't have LTE yet, will we be getting like 5 kbs or will we have wimax?

other carriers aren't really an option since I'm on a plan with 5 iPhone 5's and if we divide the measly amount of data on the att/vz plans between them... it's kind of a rip off.

2. iRetard thread starter macrumors newbie

Great... That's stupid though, we have a hotspot with 4g and it works, I don't see why they wouldn't let their phones use their towers.

3. foodog macrumors 6502a

foodog

The phone doesn't have a WiMax radio, how do you propose it connect to a WiMax tower? Sprint is rolling out LTE (like everyone else) the phone will connect to that.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....also Sprint is going to stop supporting WiMax.

5. imeth macrumors regular

Have fun using 3G on Sprint's slow data network. LTE will not roll out for a long time.

6. YoungHov718 macrumors member

7. imeth macrumors regular

LMAO that is SAD... where is PHOENIX AZ??? the 6th LARGEST METRO city... this is ridiculous... some cities are even smaller.. thank god I am not with a worthless company that wants to charge me $10 premium data for smart phones along with "unlimited data" which is not even 4G LTE anytime soon.. for as I know "coming soon" can mean next year.. there is no exact DATE!!!! have fun 3Ging your iPhone 5

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

New York, Chicago, Los Angeles coming soon? Those should've been the first places to have LTE.

9. Nathan576 macrumors member

I switched from sprint to verizon a couple weeks ago, what a great improvement.

10. christyn macrumors 6502a

indeed... I asked a sprint rep before switching to verizon from AT&T for the 5 when it would be in SLC and she said she could guarantee by summer 2016 :eek:

11. iRetard thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I'm sure the random $2 a week indian customer support phone person is totally knowledgeable about the company's plan for the future.

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

Phoenix is not the 6th largest metro area. I hate to tell u. It's not even top 10.

More like 14-15th largest depending on which data u look at.

13. christyn macrumors 6502a

She was in Oklahoma but sure.

And no one said they were, but when they have absolutely no ETA unlike Verizon/AT&T that is not a chance most people want to take. But good luck to you

14. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

I am leaving Sprint they are horrible! The UNLIMITED internet is crap! 0.5-1.6 mb downloads on 3G and there LTE is suppose to be rolling out soon! I called Sprint regarding LTE and they advised me that it will be here by Jan. 2013 in selected areas.

SPRINT SUCKS!!!

15. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

I wish we were on Reddit so I could downvote you and tag you as "clueless."

16. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

LTE will be flipped on before the years end so that should solve all of the slow problems.

17. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

January 2013 isn't that far away!

And Sprint has some good areas and some bad areas, just like any other cell phone company.

18. Criagp macrumors newbie

Phoenix is 6th biggest city according to population

And yet Sprint never gave use Wimax 4g and we are not on the first 100 cities to get LTE.

19. aneftp macrumors 68040

I understand your frustrations. Sprint is about 2 years behind Verizon and most likely never catch up. They have been releasing LTE in some small towns. Maybe easily to get up and running.

I don't have sprint. Haven't used service since 2004. But where I used to live (Kansas City, sprints world headquarters). Always had latest tech. And than living in the DC/Baltimore area Spint had WiMAX there early. Same with moving to Orlando. WiMAX has been here for a while.

Heck Verizon has had LTE running for 21 months here and AT&T has had LTE for 12 months in orlando.

20. imeth macrumors regular

yeah those indian and phillipinos customer services are the best ... they will add bonus minutes to cut your bill in half or even paid in full.. unlike americans;)

----------

how is Jan 2013 not far away??you got to be kidding me... people actually defending Sprint's unconfirmed LTE dates.

----------

how is Jan 2013 not far away??you got to be kidding me... people actually defending Sprint's unconfirmed LTE dates.

21. jblongz macrumors member

Almost 2014!

2013 is coming to an end and I still can't get Sprint LTE in NYC...Yet they are gearing up to sell contract-free iPhone 5S and 5C via Virgin Mobile...who still utilizes 4G Wimax. :confused: