Will iPhone 5S at least have one 'killer' feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rMBP13, Mar 27, 2013.

1. rMBP13 macrumors member

Like NFC and fingerprint scan? Or is it even possible that the 5S only get better camera and faster processor? Can we at least be assured that Tim Cook will do the right thing? What about larger iPhone and cheaper iPhone?

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Not sure, but I would hardly consider NFC or Fingerprint sensor killer features. As for your other questions. Just gotta wait and see. :)

3. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

NFC - I'm going to go with no on this model.
    fingerprint scanner - Again, no.
    All I can see is just enhancements for what is currently available. The 5 runs great.

Will he do the right thing? He appears to be running it just fine. They've made profits every quarter since he's been CEO, kind of what most companies strive to do.

Larger phone - iPhone 6 if we're lucky.
    Cheaper phone - I'd say the iPhone 4 is rather cheap..I don't see them going back to plastic. They've made leaps to make a quality phone, look at the 3GS to the 4, and then 5.

4. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I'm kind of skeptic on a Fingerprint scanner and NFC. Although, I have no doubt there will be a "killer" feature it's just of what.

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

Yes it will, it will be a near clone of iPhone 5...

That's quite an accomplishment, one that only Apple could pull off.

The money I had earmarked for a new iPhone will be redirected to ... oh never mind :D

6. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

7. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I would consider a fingerprint sensor as some sort of killer feature, as it is rather unique. Sure, we've seen them in phones before, but the implementations were usually disappointing and I can't think of a single high-end phone that has a fingerprint scanner/sensor.

8. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I second this. How would a fingerprint scanner not be a killer feature?

NFC would be a killer feature IF Apple made it do some really cool stuff.

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Uniqueness doesn't make a killer feature.

Simply put, fingerprint scanners aren't foolproof.

Why would they add something that will take up precious room in the phone, have extremely limited usefulness, and, for most people, offer nothing?

10. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I don't know. I guess for the same reason why they put in a 'useless touchscreen' that was taking up 'so much space' on the original iPhone.

Luckily, Apple and others have never put some sort of small camera in their devices. Imagine that... everybody taking pictures, like from their food or something.*

* No reason to put in some blurry 2 MP camera in a phone. Such small camera lenses must deliver terrible photos... I bet it will take decades before we can have a decent 2 MP camera in a phone (let alone 5 MP or, dare I say, 8 MP). A phone isn't going to boost camera developments.:rolleyes:

Edit
    I didn't want to be rude, but all I am suggesting is that just because the technology might not be great right now, doesn't mean technology can't improve. ;)

Same for your "limited usefulness" argument. Just a few years ago, people were wondering if it was useful to have such an 'enormous' 3.5" display in a phone.

Heck, there were enough people who said it was silly to put a 2 MP camera in a smartphone. As it turns out, the decision to put a camera on the iPhone might have boosted the development of small phone cameras.

11. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Comparing a new and innovative way to use and control a device and a portable camera, each with nearly endless capabilities, to a fingerprint scanner. Cute.

All Apple would need is someone to find an easy way to fool it and they would instantly lose nearly all credibility...and, since there had yet to be a fingerprint scanner that can't be fooled, the odds aren't in their favor (especially when the device itself will likely be covered in the fingerprints needed).

The only purpose of a fingerprint scanner would be security...which can be fooled and, unlike pass codes, can't be shared with others or ever changed if it were compromised.

12. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

The Motorola Atrix from 2 years ago had a finger print scanner so it would hardly be unique. Not like I think the 5s will get anything more then a internal spec bump anyway.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

How about more colors?

I was in Cupertino yesterday and noticed the buildings on Bandley again have that Colored Apple logo we saw in the late 1990s!

14. RenoG macrumors 65816

Nah we probably wont see some killer feature until iphone 6.
    The features you listed I don't personally consider killer, those are just one time use 'hey look at what my phone can do' show off items. Much like facetime and Siri for most folk.

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Hardware - No except for better performance and possibly a larger screen.

IOS - Yes

16. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Larger iPhone? Buy an iPad, the iPhone 5 is large enough

17. rMBP13 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I am set for a disappointment then.. I thought that because iPhone 4S's killer feature was Siri, iPhone 5S should at least have the fingerprint scanner. If not, why would Apple spend $357million for AuthenTec?

18. lantinian macrumors newbie

There has always been at least 1 killer feature (or a feature that was heavily demanded) in every New iPhone

iPhone 3G - 3G
    iPhone 3GS - Video
    iPhone 4 - Retina Display
    iPhone 4S - Siri
    iPhone 5 - LTE

I expect the next iPhone to be no different. The S models tend to focus on improvements in software with the hardware changes more related to the general architecture and not so much to adding new components, which makes sense since the design is the same.

So I expect a new major focus on the Camera and not just in megapixels. Its time Apple to expand what the basic camera app can do. I personally hope they get some significant battery improvements via the new architecture too.

While it will not make any jaws drop, if they can make a single model that can run all LTE bans and work on T-mobile and China Mobile that will be a major breakthrough allowing them to reach demand extremely quickly and expand to new places.

The global demand for iPhone is so high, that fulfilling it is a feature of itself, one Apple has been struggling with since the beginning.

19. lantinian macrumors newbie

Apple acquired Siri in April 2010 and introduced in again in Oct 2011 or 16 months later...and it was still in Beta.

AuthenTec was bough in August 2012. An August 2013, launch will be just 12 months later. Given that Apple decides on components 6 months before release, that would have given the AuthenTexc team, just 6 months to make the software/hardware ready enough for it to warrant a huge order. I don't think after Siri and especially Maps, Apple will launch such an important feature without making dam sure it just works. Maybe next year.

20. darky90 macrumors member

There has never really been that big of an upgrade from the # and the s. Usually just the speed and some upgrades here and there. Big changes come with the # release. I'm hoping to see something different when the 6 comes. Hopefully they're working on the ios too.

21. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Yes, the killer feature will be that it comes in different colors.

22. rMBP13 thread starter macrumors member

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I was so sure the iPhone 5 would have a killer software feature to utilize the extra screen real estate. Unless you consider and extra row of icons a killer feature, we saw no such thing sadly. Not sure what to expect with the next phone. I would like NFC. I think it will take apple adopting NFC to get NFC to kick off here in the states.

24. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Remember, we're just guessing right now and judging by how Apple does business. They could easily pull something out on us that we didn't see coming. I don't know what the chances of that happening are exactly, but it's possible.

25. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Can we get off of the fingerprint scanner wagon? I don't have some top secret CIA data on my phone so there's no need for gimmicks when a password works just fine.

Rather have something that most people would find useful rather than that one cool thing you show your grandparents.