Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
As far as I know:
Dual VoLTE, yes. Meaning both SIMs can be on stand-by for VoLTE. But of course, usage is one at a time.
As for 4G data, only one can be active at a time for data, but the other can be on 4G as well (for VoLTE).
As for 5G, so far dual SIM is not supported when on 5G. You have to beon 4G to enable dual SIM. I believe you will need to wait for an OS update, if it is even possible.

Right now, nobody has any advantages as both Apple and other Android OEMs are using Qualcomm modems for 5G. It's just a matter who has a newer version. Currently iPhone 12 is on the X55, while Samsung Galaxy S21 is on the X60 modem.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
As far as I know:
Dual VoLTE, yes. Meaning both SIMs can be on stand-by for VoLTE. But of course, usage is one at a time.
As for 4G data, only one can be active at a time for data, but the other can be on 4G as well (for VoLTE).
As for 5G, so far dual SIM is not supported when on 5G. You have to beon 4G to enable dual SIM. I believe you will need to wait for an OS update, if it is even possible.

Right now, nobody has any advantages as both Apple and other Android OEMs are using Qualcomm modems for 5G. It's just a matter who has a newer version. Currently iPhone 12 is on the X55, while Samsung Galaxy S21 is on the X60 modem.

So 4g lte or 5g data won't ever be able to have 2 cellular providers use both data ? Whichever one is faster/stronger ? With like esim lets say.

You will have to always switch manually?

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
As far as I know:

Dual 5g is already supported in current 14.5 beta. So it will come with next update if everything goes according to plan.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
How come you can still get phone calls and text at the same time on both numbers though but not use 4g lte data on both esim and sim at the same time ?

hyelton

macrumors member
May 23, 2015
How come you can still get phone calls and text at the same time on both numbers though but not use 4g lte data on both esim and sim at the same time ?

Because calls and regular sms doesn’t use data

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.