Will it be possible to have 5x optical zoom for the iPhone in today's technology ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jan 21, 2015.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

And how useful might it be ?
    There's rumors that there might be a DLSR quality lens on the iphone.. Not sure how possible that could be..
    But no one would ever believed we could have such phone 10 years ago that can do everything it can do now.

2. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

The big problem with zoom lenses on a phone is that according to the current laws of physics it requires moving the lens. If the lens does get moved then the phone gets thicker and Apple is trying to make every iPhone thinner than the last, so it goes against their strategy. The other option is to digitally zoom and that dramatically increases pixelization. Many describe the current zoom as looking like watercolors.

It is hard to imagine that a cell phone camera will ever be as good as a DSLR, but like you say, who could have imagined the quality of todays iPhones ten years ago.

I sold all my DSLR equipment when I bought my iPhone and I now use it almost exclusively. I still have a 50x superzoom bridge camera but I haven't used it in the three months since I bought the iPhone. The quality of an iPhone is really impressive but there is still a distance between it and a DSLR. But every generation gets better.

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The phone would need to be very thick in order to have any kind of optical zoom, let alone 5X.
    I have an old Nikon point and shoot with 3X optical zoom whereby the lens doesn't protrude, it has a sliding mechanism inside the body. Even so, it is much thicker than an iPhone 6!

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

5. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

I think it would still make the phone too thick.

6. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

And you'd see a whole new slew of threads about "rattling."

7. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

Would that be rattlegate?

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I hope not. "-Gate" is so overused now and most people have no idea where the term originated.

9. AlomWare-com macrumors newbie

Digital zooming is totally pointless. It's no different to taking a normal photo, then zooming and cropping it in a paint program.

10. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

Digital zooming is pointless on an iPhone, but my 50x zoom superzoom bridge camera zooms from 50x to 100x and looks beautiful.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

WHile I agree, the vast majority of users do not run their images through any processing. They want images to send via their phones and be able to crop while taking the image. Quality of the digitally zoomed/cropped image is no longer the prime consideration.

12. FieldingMellish Suspended

Zoom with your feet. Just get closer and Bam! You're done. And no pixelation.

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Not if you're trying to shoot something that will fly away, like butterflies.

For that, I just use my 5D Mk3 with a 100mm macro lens.

14. AlomWare-com macrumors newbie

Or do what Paco did in "The Three Amigos", and hold your phone... higher! :D

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Unless Apple gets over this obsession with thinness I don't see a 5x optical zoom happening.

16. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I don't see the correlation between slr quality and zoom. My best slr lens is a prime with fixed focal length.

In any case, you won't have a dslr quality sensor because it's too big to be practical.

17. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Cover yourself with honey nectar and bright colors and lay still. Butterflies (and other flies) will come to you!