Will Laptop and Tablet Restrictions Affect Your Phone Buying Habits?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeremiah256, May 28, 2017.

?

How might the possible flight restrictions on laptops and tablets affect you?

1. I'm getting a larger phone

13.3%
  2. I'm getting more storage on my phone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm increasing both storage and size of my next phone

20.0%
  4. No change. I'm fine.

60.0%
  5. I'm not fine, but I'll just spend more money on booze during the flight

6.7%
  1. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

I fly enough and the experience sucks enough that it will affect my phone buying habits. I'm staying with the larger sized iPhone and making sure I can max out the storage.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The last time I flew was nine years ago and I didn't own an iPhone or iPad then.

My job is 10 minutes from home and does not require flying, so what with all the problems I hear go on now I don't fly.

So the experience does not at all affect my buying habits.

3. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I'm not sure if this ban is really going to happen now (other than the Middle East one already in place of course). That said, I am glad to have a Plus. Though even the display on it is pretty small for nine hours of movie watching.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Same here. I could never go to anything less than the iPhone Plus size that I have now. Having the larger storage just makes more sense seemingly how much these iOS updates consume, alongside with media and applications.

5. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

Can anyone share why laptop are banned and will also apply in the US soon? Aren't everything we carry go through xray and security checking? Some in bound flights provide wifi on board and if the laptop's were banned, how are we supposed to kill time on board, I rather be online than watching in flight movies.

6. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I've been using phablet sized phones for the past 4 years, so I'll definitely continue to buy phablet.
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2017 ---
    The claim is that x ray machines at security check points are detailed enough to show bombs hidden inside laptops.

7. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

The security screening is not 100% effective in detecting prohibited items.

Some countries are better than others. But none are 100% effective.

I'm not saying the decision is right or wrong. (This is not a political thread.). I'm just trying to provide the rationale.

To the original post, I very seldom fly. But I've been leaning toward larger phones on my next purchase. This proposed ban is just pushing me more in that direction and also towards maxing out storage.

8. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

The ipad pro although thinner but is also larger than some smaller laptops. With that in mind, could it be that iPads could also be banned in the future for the same reason that you said. Liquid more than 50 ml that has no electrical components is also banned, this includes drinking water. And soon these terrorist may be able to engineer phablets or larger phones into explosive, who knows. I can't picture that all electronic devices could someday be banned.

9. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

An interesting topic...if laptops and tablets are put on the banned list, it would directly affect millions.

Wouldn't change my phone size however! I am NOT getting a large phone.

10. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Lat time I flew I was on a bmx going over a ramp. I did not question phone/laptop/tablet issues as it was a short flight. I just got settled in and landed.

Of course tablets and phones did not exist then anyway. :)