Will MBP's Fan Wear Out if Constantly Spinning at 3500 RPM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rekhyt, Aug 15, 2010.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I'm prepping my Macbook Pro for daily usage now and moving around all my documents, etc.

What's the normal fan speed that you guys usually use during your normal daily usages and what temperature do you expect when you are using it everyday?

Would the fan wear out if I set it to 3500RPM indefinitely when I use it using SMC Fan Control?

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I bump it to 3000 when connected to power

3. chuckm1020 macrumors regular

Ive read some post people keeping there fans idling at 4000rpms for like 4 years without any issues. So im thinking we are good. I keep mine at 3000rpms at idle. Then bump it up when i need too.

4. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Keep the fans clean and they're work for the life of your laptop.

Dirty fans cause them to work harder, cause friction, and will ultimately make then fail.

5. RT2020 macrumors regular

I set mine for constant 3000 minimum. (it seems to keep things cool, but doesn't make any more noise than the default)

Should one of your fans fail, they are cheap and easy to replace. However, should your logic board fail from chronic heating, you can go ahead and throw your MacBook Pro in the garbage.

Constant heat = hardware death. I don't know why apple doesn't acknowledge this.

6. highADP macrumors member

I think it should be ok. I have a black macbook core duo 2.0, the fan kicked into 6000+ rpm every time I used the cpu intensively (like watching clips from youtube or hulu). It happened like gazillions of times and my macbook is still working fine (4 years old with no repair at all). So I think that you don't have to worry :cool:

7. liamoblomy macrumors member

Electric motors are pretty reliable things, they'll handle that RPM for a long time easy.

8. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

owned my computer for years and i can run my fan for hours at a time at 6000+ making thumb nails and such for i movie and i have has no issues

9. Nice macrumors regular

Nice

i say, i would rather have to buy a new fan, than having my MBPs processor burned out

10. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

How would one keep their own fans clean/replace their fans on their Macbook Pro?

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Take the bottom cover off, hold the fan with one finger and blow on it with a can of compressed air. Reason you need to hold it with a finger is prevent it from spinning.

12. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

I keep my macbook pro on default 2000 rpm. you really do not need to set the threshold higher, but you can do it to keep your macbook pro cool(er).

13. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Yeah I've got mine set for 3500 while on battery and 4000 while plugged in. I think I might bump it down to 3000 and 3500 though just cause as I've went on using the notebook with the fans that high I've noticed it doesn't even get anywhere near as hot, so even if I bring it down a little, it should still be a reasonable level haha

14. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I keep it at 3,500rpm under normal conditions, and let the MBP itself spin up the fans when it becomes hot (when using Aperture, Adobe stuff, etc).

15. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Mine runs around 2500-4600 rpm since 8 month. It's fine.