Will mirrored apps take up the whole HDTV in 16:9? Or will it be black bars

Discussion in 'iPad' started by henrikrox, Mar 5, 2011.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

So i thought about this

In the ipad 2 promo video you find on apple.com

its a lady showing some kind of planet app in class, however you notice that each side of the app has to black bars on TV.

Now, it says it display the app in full 1080p, but that says nothing about the width. So im wondering will mirrored apps take up the whole HDTV? Like is it is in 16:9 format.

I know lg optimus2x shows apps in 16:9 on the TV, but im wondering if the ipad is doing the same.

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I'm pretty sure there'll be black bars. Watching a 16:9 movie will be the only instance that I can see, where the screen will be filled, unless the double-tap to fill screen will work on the tv, also.
    Either way, I guess that video will be the only case of the screen being filled.

3. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Since the iPad is 4:3 there is no way for them to display Apps in anything but 4:3. This means it will have black bars (or you can tell some TVs to stretch it and make it look really ugly). It's just not possible for Apps to display 16:9 information and have it "mirror" what is on the iPad.

I do hope BergerFan is right about video filling the screen though, that would just be stupid if it didn't.

4. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

kk, i just hoped that xbmc for ipad would take up the entire screen on the hdtv. but thanks for claring that up :)

5. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

If XBMC only relies on mirroring than it is unlikely to fill the screen. However they maybe able to make use of the existing video out APIs. For example The Incident game is able to display in widescreen when connected to a TV.