Will my battery last my flight?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sarawr, Jan 25, 2012.

1. sarawr macrumors member

First off I'm sorry for making a new thread there probably is a load of these on here.

Anyway, I am moving to England next week and just got a 2nd hand iphone 3gs. It's only a year old. I've never owned an iphone before so I have no idea on what their battery life is like.

I'm going to be travelling for 24 hours straight. I only want to listen to music and MAYBE watch a movie or two if I get really bored on the plane. I have two 2200mah rechargeable battery packs as well.

Will this be enough to get me to england? :)

thanks in advance for any help!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

With two spares? Yep, unless you really cane it you should be fine...You'll be in Airplane mode anyway so a lot of stuff won't be running in the background.

3. sarawr thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good :) I looked stuff up online but every one has mixed messages about battery life for iphones lol I won't be doing anything other than music and some movies so fingers crossed!

4. aneftp macrumors 601

I fly a lot.

With a used iphone 3GS, assuming normal battery wear over 1 year. Assuming you have it on airplane mode

You should get 15-20 plus hours on music only.

You should still get a good 6 hours plus, maybe up to 8 hours watching movies.

With a rechargeable battery, you are good to go.

Now if you were playing games....that's a different beast cause graphics will wear down the battery much faster.

5. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

It also depends on what airline/aircraft your flying. I flew Melbourne to Hong Kong on a Cathay Pacific Airbus A330 and it had in-flight power and I had my 4S charged throughout the whole flight.

6. SurferMan macrumors 65816

The phone itself won't last, but the packs you should be fine. Movies can drain the battery fairly fast though.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

^This. Just in case, take the charger with you, as you may be in a plane that may have in-flight power installed. During my winter break, I took a flight from Chicago to Incheon, South Korea, and took the Korean Air 777-300er and each seat had it's own USB port to charge your device with.

But because my flight had the in-flight entertainment system in each seat, I barely used my phone. Also if your plane have the entertainment system, I would not worry. Especially Movies, unless you have specific movies you want to watch on your iphone.

8. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

good to go

Two battery packs..... you dont have anything to worry about.

If you flight isn't non stop you should be able to pickup a quick charge during a lay over.

9. sarawr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies everyone :D I'll be sure to take my charger just in case the flight has plugs. I flying Sydney to London with etihad. Never flown with them so we'll see how it goes.

Received and tested the iPhone today. With a 85% charge I got 9 hours :D over 7 was with wifi on facebook running too. And I've been texting non stop and listening to music so I'm a touch impressed.

10. sarawr thread starter macrumors member

11. TheMacBookPro, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Etihad do not operate direct flights on the SYD-LHR route- you're either on a code-share flight (check your itinerary) or you'll be stopping over in Abu Dhabi.

Assuming the latter, the flights EY operate on SYD-AUH are either on the 773 or 345/346 aircraft, which have power points in every seat, regardless of whether you're travelling in economy, business or first.

Same story with the AUH-LHR leg, which are also operated by 773/345/346 aircraft.

Bring your regular mains adapter on board and you can arrive in London with a fully charged phone.

Alternatively, just bring your white Apple cable and charge with the in-seat USB port. It can be finicky at times (as with all aircraft entertainment features) but if the one at your seat is working then you'll be able to charge your phone as well as play your media through the larger in-seat display.

Do keep in mind that all EY aircraft are fitted with PTVs and a large selection movies and audio at every seat, so you might end up not needing your iPhone at all, unless you have a specific album or movie you want to play ;)

12. sarawr thread starter macrumors member

I know it's not a direct flight to London haha You're correct, I have a two hour stop over in Abu Dhabi. I knew they'd have in flight entertainment but I do have specific movies on my iphone + I'll want to listen to music. Thanks for the tips :)

13. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Some aircraft are fitted with the standard in-flight emPower port. My Australian Apple iPod charger that came with my 4S fits in the port, I'm sure that the two prong American/Japanese will also fit. But while you're travelling, you're most likely to also bring your charger with you anyway.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sometimes long flights have a good movie(s) or a pretty good channel for music. Definitely turn-off your iPhone when not using it, that will extend the life of the iPhone battery...:cool:

15. RoadKingDean macrumors newbie

In-flight power

You mentioned you're flying Etihad. Unless your aircraft is one of their smaller Airbus A319 or A320s, you're in luck. All of their other aircraft have power outlets for every seat. Check it out at www.SeatGuru.com. Have a good trip!

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Hence, my previous sentence:

;) Unless the EmPower port you're thinking of is the round one which is similar to (but not compatible with) car cigarette ports. Etihad aircraft have regular 2/3 prong ports, no need for a Kensington or similar adapter.

[​IMG]

Etihad do not operate those aircraft on the SYD-AUH-LHR route. They use 345/346/773 equipment (all of which have in-seat power) depending on the date of departure.

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Of course they do. Individual usage greatly impacts battery life. It's not a one-size-fits-all thing.

^ This

Empower is the round connector. Empower != mains. Empower is DC. Mains is AC.

18. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; N-06C Build/A1003601) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I have no idea what you're trying to get at here- Etihad have regular two/three prong plugs on board, not round EmPower ports, so my previous statement ('bring your regular mains adapter') is still true.