Will my internet run faster if I have both ethernet plugged in + WIFI on? (Time Caps)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lip5016, Jul 31, 2014.

1. lip5016 macrumors regular

Hey guys! I'm operating a MacBook Pro with Apple Time Capsule as my router. I have the 2 positioned right next to each other. I currently have the Time Capsule plugged into my MacBook Pro via Ethernet, but was wondering if I should keep my WIFI (on my MacBook Pro) enabled? I wasn't sure if OSX favored one or the other when it comes to ethernet vs. WIFI, and wanted to make sure it didn't just connect to websites via WIFI-only, if there was ethernet available, and vice versa.

If I have my Apple Time Capsule plugged into my MacBook Pro via Ethernet, would it be more wise to keep WIFI enabled on my MacBook Pro as well? Is there any sort of "synergistic" effects (aka.. more speed) by having both of them enabled? Thanks!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, your computer will use only one and not both at the same time.

3. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

So would it be in my best interest to just have the Ethernet connection plugged in, and then disable WIFI on my MacBook Pro? Thanks!

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You can leave wifi on if you want, it won't hurt anything, but your computer should default to Ethernet when it detects both active.

5. drambuie macrumors 6502a

The Ethernet speed of newer routers is a gigabit/s, and older routers are 100 megabit/s, so even if you have an older router, your internet speed would have to approach 100 Mbps for the Ethernet to saturate. Except for premium plans I don't think many ISPs even reach 100 Mbps, let alone 1000 Mbps.

6. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

that's a lot of bits

7. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It actually defaults to whatever is the network priority. Meaning if wifi is priority and you plug in the ethernet cable it will still use the wifi. It's best practice to turn off the wifi and then plug in the ethernet cable. The order doesn't matter.

:apple: