Will my old AT&T unlimited data plan be grandfathered in...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mobhit101, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mobhit101 macrumors newbie

So sorry if this has been posted but I've attempted searching this forum and google to no avail...

I am still on the ATT unlimited data plan on my 3GS and am finally looking to upgrade to the 4S. I can't really remember what all the fuss was over grandfathering in the unlimited plan to the iphone 4 but will I be able to transfer my current data plan to the new 4S?

2. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

you should be able to and there was no fuss in moving my unlimited to my iPhone 4

3. GeauxTigers23 macrumors newbie

4. mobhit101 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried talking to one of those online customer service robots but it wasn't any help. It kept "suggesting" that I update my current plan so that everything will go more smoothly in the upgrade process...

I feel like I just need to go into an ATT store and ask them myself.

5. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

customer retention dept is who to ask for when you call AT&T

6. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Upgrading isn't going to change anything. If you change your data plan, you will lose it forever. Even if by accident and even if it's for less than a day.

But at some point in the future, we will lose it. If they haven't made any announcements yet, I doubt there will be changes anytime soon. Last year when they made the announcement about the tiered data plans, it happened a week or two before the iPhone 4 launch.

7. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Honestly, I suspect how AT&T will do it is when the iPhone gets 4G connection. Then they'll tell you to get any iPhone that has 4G you have to get a 4G plan and they don't offer an unlimited one (and your unlimited plan is a 3G plan so it can't be grandfathered in).

Which is why I for one don't want 4G in my phone (I like my unlimited more than I care about getting a faster connection).

Though eventually (though who knows how far away) I suspect AT&T will force even those who refuse to get a 4G phone to change because they'll stop offering 3G connection (I'm pretty sure there was some technology they stopped offering and you had to have the newer type phones, I think when it was a switch over to the GSM chips though I guess that's different than 3G vs 4G).

8. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

What we would like to know is, if you pre-order from apple itself, do you still get to keep the unlimited data?

9. sweetload macrumors newbie

Grandfather me Bro!

I am still on the unlimited data plan as well and have been since the the original iPhone. I currently have a 3G and my contract ran out months ago. I just spoke with at&t customer service and asked this very question. They told me that they would grandfather my unlimited data plan for the iPhone 4s no problem! Still deciding if I want to stay with at&t though. Sprint isn't looking too bad right now with $79.99 a month with everything!

10. mobhit101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know. Is that Sprint plan the same for the iphone too?

11. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

As long as you don't change the data plan.

It doesn't matter where you get it from. It all goes through AT&T's verification system, and if you change the data plan you will lose it.

12. sweetload macrumors newbie

It's unknown at this time but judging by similar phones/contracts, it should be around that price point. If it's close, I'll just stick with at&t.

By the way, I have my own personal account and am paying an average of $94 a month for my 450 voice/unlimited text/unlimited data in California. Is everyone else paying around this much per month with at&t? Just curious.

13. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

That's great, thank you.

14. mobhit101 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the same plan I have except that the company I work for allows a 27% discount or something like that off my monthly bill so it comes to around $68 for me. I think I'd also get a discount on Sprint if I were to switch but I'd rather not mess with it if ATT with go ahead and grandfather my plan in so long as I don't change anything about the plan (other than the new phone, of course).

15. brodas, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

brodas macrumors regular

Can someone help me with my question? Im gonna buy an unluck GS II and I want to know if i get to keep my unlimited data from Att. Right now I have a I4 and I don't know if the data plan for the iPhone is the same for other phones

16. rjohnstone, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Yes, AT&T does have a 4G unlimited plan specifically for grandfathered users. It's called SmartPhone Personal. Only current unlimited users can get it.

I went from my iPhone unlimited plan to a Atrix 4G and was able to keep my unlimited plan.

As for you comment about them dropping 3G, AT&T's 4G is still 3G. ;)
    AT&T still supports EDGE connections, so I don't foresee them dropping 3G anytime soon.

Yes, you can keep your unlimited data plan.
    They'll try and talk you out of it, even make up BS stories, but you can keep it.

Attached Files:

• smt.jpg
      smt.jpg
      File size:
      82.5 KB
      Views:
  17. brodas macrumors regular

Yes, you can keep your unlimited data plan.
    They'll try and talk you out of it, even make up BS stories, but you can keep it.

Thank you very much