Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Thinking of buying a new 4S unlocked to be my only phone at home in Canada and when travelling. I prefer the length (shorter) and thickness (more substantial) of the 4S compared to the 5. I don't require all the latest bells and whistles. Only concern is that I need it to last 2 to 3 years from now. Will future versions of iOS negatively impact the ability of the 4S to function?

Your comments would be appreciated.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Personally I would not get the 4s now. Why? Apple only supports IOS upgrades for 3 years. The 4s shipped with IOS 5, We are on IOS 6, so then IOS 7.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Thinking of buying a new 4S unlocked to be my only phone at home in Canada and when travelling. I prefer the length (shorter) and thickness (more substantial) of the 4S compared to the 5. I don't require all the latest bells and whistles. Only concern is that I need it to last 2 to 3 years from now. Will future versions of iOS negatively impact the ability of the 4S to function?

Your comments would be appreciated.

I hear you about dimensions and overall quality. My 4s will be two years old next month and I don't plan to upgrade to any of the 5 phones. However, I am aware hat in two days it will be discontinued and I won't get anything beyond iOS 7. I think it will run iOS 7 fine (the a5 chip is in four devices: 4s, ipad 2, ipad 3, and ipad mini), but that's probably the last iOS it will get, so you are looking at one year or so before it starts becoming obsolete

DarkSel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
I'm not even quite sure it will feel fast enough for iOS7......

I'm sure it will "work" but to have a run that runs like slug is not worth it to me.

iOS7 works perfectly on my 4S with no speed hiccups. My 4 on the other hand is a different story......

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
iOS7 works perfectly on my 4S with no speed hiccups. My 4 on the other hand is a different story......

couldnt agree more. the 4s runs io7 fine and ive upgraded continuously throughout the beta process and have not done a fresh install and yet io7 runs just fine. Animations smooth and for the most part very responsive. I think the 4s has some life left in it, especially since Apple gave the 4s all of io7's features (for the most part) and it all runs nice. Even the camera with the filter effects looks and performs excellent.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Personally I would not get the 4s now. Why? Apple only supports IOS upgrades for 3 years. The 4s shipped with IOS 5, We are on IOS 6, so then IOS 7.

The 3GS had 4 iOS upgrades. I'm pretty sure the 4S will be updated to iOS 8 though a lot of new features will be missing. The "S" upgrades normally focus on hardware upgrades allowing it to receive updates longer following the current progression.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Will future versions of iOS negatively impact the ability of the 4S to function?

Your are correct, new software almost always demand more horsepower from the hardware.

If you are the type of person who MUST upgrade to the latest software, then buy a newer phone.

Me, I don't see yet anything in IOS7 that I must have so not updating. Same logic apply to future IOS's. Until then, and nobody can predict the future, but keeping my 4s until I can keep it no more.

Even if u want a 4s, you ought to wait until after Tuesday when for sure the 4s will become more affordable.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
To answer the original question, there's no reason why it shouldn't. If you take care of it and don't have a defective unit, there's no reason why it shouldn't still function 10 years from now, except that the battery would probably need to be replaced some time before then. Any phone that's not complete garbage should easily last 3 years if you want it to.

nparmelee

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2008
There are still original iPhones out in the wild and being used. If you take care of it and don't mind eventually not being able to get newer software and running some newer apps in the future, no problem. Make sure you get a good quality one and take good care of it.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
The 3GS had 4 iOS upgrades. I'm pretty sure the 4S will be updated to iOS 8 though a lot of new features will be missing. The "S" upgrades normally focus on hardware upgrades allowing it to receive updates longer following the current progression.

The iPhone 4 has ran on 4 iOS's. it started with iOS 4,5,6 and now 7. The fact is that the iPhone 4 is the iPhone that has stayed in Apples lineup the longest and I believe that the 4S will follow in it's footsteps. The iPhone 4 and 4S are the two most beloved iPhones ever.

With that said I would wait and check out the iPhone 5C on Tuesday before I decide whether or not to get the 4S. Just remember that the 4S will be updated to iOS 8 most likely and after that it will get no more software updates,but I know a person at my work that still has the 3G and his phone runs fine. A little (a lot) slow, but for him he said its fast enough for him. You said you don't have to have the latest and greatest. For you the iPhone 4/4S would be a great phone for you, but at least wait until you see the 5C to make the choice.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
The only thing that should really stop you, is software requirements for the apps. If the app you want requires you to jump up to a new OS, and the new OS doesn't run on that phone, you're SOL. Otherwise, the phone should still work, as well as the apps you currently have on it.

Case in point: my jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3G still works, on iOS 3.1.3. I never upgraded from that, as iOS 4 and newer dropped support for the 3G. But the apps that I have on it still work, and didn't have a reason to upgrade until I got a new phone. I can turn it on now, and do all that I need to do on it, within the iPhone 3G's limitations.

BL.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
All the iPhones in recent history got 4 iOS updates (3GS up to iOS 6, and the 4 will obviously get iOS 7). The original iPhone and iPhone 3G had identical hardware, and therefore stopped getting updates some time ago. 4S will most likely get iOS 8 (based on recent trend), so it will be fine for the next 2 years as far as getting updates. How it will run iOS 8 is anyone's guess, but iOS 7 runs fine.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Your are correct, new software almost always demand more horsepower from the hardware.

If you are the type of person who MUST upgrade to the latest software, then buy a newer phone.

Me, I don't see yet anything in IOS7 that I must have so not updating. Same logic apply to future IOS's. Until then, and nobody can predict the future, but keeping my 4s until I can keep it no more.

Even if u want a 4s, you ought to wait until after Tuesday when for sure the 4s will become more affordable.

Smart man. Good advice :)

So many times I see people buying electronics and wanting them to be future-proofed for the next 10 years :rolleyes:

Me? I buy stuff for the OS it has right now. If an update comes along that I'm absolutely sure doesn't mess up performance at all then cool, I'll update. But otherwise I have no problem keeping my iPhone on iOS 6 or my macbook on mountain lion forever.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The trend is if a device is still sold at the announcement of a new OS it will get said new OS. If they discontinue the 4S like the iPod Touch (4th generation) it might not get iOS 8.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Smart man. Good advice :)

So many times I see people buying electronics and wanting them to be future-proofed for the next 10 years :rolleyes:

Me? I buy stuff for the OS it has right now. If an update comes along that I'm absolutely sure doesn't mess up performance at all then cool, I'll update. But otherwise I have no problem keeping my iPhone on iOS 6 or my macbook on mountain lion forever.

Exactly very well said. Honestly it doesn't matter if your on ios 6,7 or 8. If it runs good on the operating system then the device will be fine

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
No, not recommended, look at the iPhone 4 3 years out...plays iOS 7 (beta) like a cripple from what I've read.

The 4S, which will be 2 product cycles (years) out this week, while it does iOS 7, will not do AirDrop and missing some other minor features...so, next year, iOS 8 will be worse. ...no AirDrop now, and 1-2 years from now if you want to share w/someone your pics or such via AirDrop, you still won't be able to. (I think AirDrop will be a selling point.)

The current iPhone 5 on the other hand, is no slouch...iOS 7 beta on mine is like having a new phone again. Nothing missing (except new 5S rumored to have fingerprint sensor). If you don't want to spend the $ for the rumored 5S, the iPhone 5 will go down in price after the announcement tuesday, I'd snatch one of these up! But, iPhone 5 comes in 3 country/carrier variations, make sure you can get a model that will work where you live & travel (might not be possible): http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ (assuming this link works in CA, if not, go to the Apple store online and look for similar link...info about what countries/carriers iphone 5 w/LTE will work), If none of those will work, then, maybe the 5S would be best for you, as it will likely have a new LTE chip that may work in more countries than the current iPhone 5, but the 4S is on it's way out.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
iPhone 3GS : 3 --> 6
iPhone 4 : 4 --> 7

Those models have had 4 years support.
maybe, but the iOS's you list there have quite a few features left out on those phones. iOS 7 might work on iPhone 4, but it is crippled.

The reality is iOS 7 is a big change...the A6 processor is apple's first "system on a chip", the faster processor, and separate graphics processor in the A6 (in iPhone 5) or better is really required for iOS 7 and beyond, to fully function as intended. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A6

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
maybe, but the iOS's you list there have quite a few features left out on those phones. iOS 7 might work on iPhone 4, but it is crippled.

The reality is iOS 7 is a big change...the A6 processor is apple's first "system on a chip", the faster processor, and separate graphics processor in the A6 (in iPhone 5) or better is really required for iOS 7 and beyond, to fully function as intended. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A6

Ok... The 4 is a bit lagged on iOS 7. I know because I ran a 4 on iOS 7, but it is by no means "slow" to most common users. A common user is not going to know the difference. This is a guy who has said he does not have to have the latest and greatest. Which means he doesn't actually need a iPhone 5 as of now.

Do we know that the iPhone 5 is going to be around come September 10th? Actually we don't because we believe Apple is introducing an iPhone 5C which is rumored to be a 5 in a plastic shell. If it is, then why would Apple keep the iPhone 5 which is more expensive to make. Wal-Mart has iPhone 5's right now for $98.00 on contract ... So how is $100.00 on contract a great deal? It's not! The truth is the 4S is not that much of a downgrade from a 5 when it comes to a common user. The 5 has LTE and a 4" screen. I personally believe the iPhone 5 is done in two days. That's just what makes sense from a business standpoint for Apple. Why give the customers of choosing an aluminum or plastic version of the same phone? I don't think they will.

Now I know a lot of iPhone 5 owners don't wanna hear that because they don't want a "discontinued" apple product, but does it really matter? The 5 will still be a better device then the 5C if only it's just because the 5 is glass and aluminum and 5C is plastic. Apple doesn't have to keep the product around for 2 years. Discontinuing the 5 does make sense if you stop and think about it in the grand scheme of things.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Do we know that the iPhone 5 is going to be around come September 10th? Actually we don't because we believe Apple is introducing an iPhone 5C which is rumored to be a 5 in a plastic shell. If it is, then why would Apple keep the iPhone 5 which is more expensive to make. ... I personally believe the iPhone 5 is done in two days. That's just what makes sense from a business standpoint for Apple. Why give the customers of choosing an aluminum or plastic version of the same phone? I don't think they will.

... Apple doesn't have to keep the product around for 2 years. Discontinuing the 5 does make sense if you stop and think about it in the grand scheme of things.
Considering the iPhone 4 has been around for 3 years, 4S for 2 years, and they have not previously discontinued any iPhone until it has been in at least 2 years of production, no, the iPhone 5 is not done in two days. The iPhone 5S will move into flagship position and iPhone 5 step down to a single memory configuration in the middle price range. Doesn't matter what Wal-Mart is doing. AT&T sells reconditioned iPhones for less also (online only).

The problem is too much speculation about the 5C being a low-cost US iPhone, when the first reports of it indicated it was for "emerging markets" that would imply other countries that have new markets for smart phones, but are not compatible with US LTE standards. Apple has been in talks with a major China telecom, which, iPhone 5 is currently not compatible with (see: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/). 5C=China (and other countries) with cell chips & antenna configuration that works with those carriers.

But, I'm really not sure if 4S will be the low-end model, 30-pin connectors for another year? I don't think so, but, we've got to remember, large scale production of things like this...it's a global market these days, and China has a strong momentum going for smart phones. Apple will do what they have to to get into that market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.