Will new black 5s be 'Scuff Gate' 2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gix1k, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I have to get a few of these for work. Wondering if I should go with white and gold models, since the black 5 scuffed like crazy. These current models look like hell now.

2. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

My understanding is that they have changed the manufacturing process to eliminate that flaking/chipping from the 5.

3. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Yep just like antennagate.
    A non existant issue that the vocal minority made up to get money out of Apple.

4. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Bingo. You attach the word 'gate' to something I automatically assume you have the mental ability of a young marsupial.

5. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Except, the chipping of the anodizing WAS damn unsightly and annoying...

6. fark macrumors regular

You're too generous comparing them to marsupials. Single cell life form would be more accurate. :D

7. irDigital0l Guest

Except it was actually a problem...

That Apple fixed by the time I got my Verizon iPhone 4.

8. PaulOBrain macrumors regular

9. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

That problem was real....I don't care who you are.

10. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

And that's the thing, people believed it was a problem.

11. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Do you have a black iPhone 5 that didn't scuff at all w/out it hitting the ground?

12. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Not me personally, I'm on iPhone 1 still. But many people I know have yes. They all used phone cases though. I can't answer for people who use their phone nude for a majority of the time though.

13. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Lol, IP1.

14. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

So? I make my Apple products last the distance. Value for money.

15. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

People like this blow my mind. How was it not a problem? If there were phones coming scuffed up from the factory then that's an issue.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

That's astounding. My wife has the black phone and has always had a case on it. She has scratches and scuffs just from it being in her purse where lint, dust, etc gets in. She recently got a lifeproof case (lol its huge and ugly) just to try and minimize the scuffs.

I think you are generalizing a bit, especially as a person who doesn't have the device. "Everyone who thinks this is a problem is wrong" is a pretty bold statement, and you have all but made it.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Heyyy give some more credit to marsupials

18. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I agree...especially since he doesn't even have one. Day 1 of iPhone 5 release was a mess with scuffs. It was so bad that I was reading the threads before FedEx arrived with my personal black one. As soon as it was delivered, I drove to Apple store and exchanged, unopened, for a white one. The work office models I have here look years old and they've never left the building.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It was an issue for me. I returned my second iPhone 4 and went back to my 3GS. I then got a 4S that didn't have a problem.

20. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

scuff gate 2012. Never forget. Never again.

21. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

They all will scuff if you use them without a case. Just don't be that guy who puts his phone in a pocket full of change and keys. If you don't want a case, then use a leather pouch.

I will always use a case / pouch combo (pouch when I want to change it up) so the phone stays looking new. To this day, mine does not have a scratch on it!!!

22. deadstockmarket macrumors regular

deadstockmarket

It wasn't really a problem for me. Would get black again any day.

23. pmau macrumors 65816

I own a flawless iPhone5 and an iPhone4 with Apple's bumper.
    None of them had any problems.

My assumption is that the Space Gray uses a different way of anodizing or the material is different, leading to a lighter coloration that Apple called "Space Gray" instead of "****! It's not black!"

I indeed have seen iPhone5 models from friends and colleagues that had scratches, but honesty I attribute them to car keys or cables bundled with the phone.

As a sidenote, the original 30 PIN adapter has some really sharp edges that can easily scratch anything...

(I also own a 3GS, but that's not the point here)

PS: Why no "****" in quotes... What the "****"? I don't mean it, it's in quotes :) ;)

24. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Has there been any clear, real world pics of the new models?

25. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I have a black iPhone 5 purchased on launch day. Never used a case or screen protector. Not a single scratch or scuff. Those that claim they all scuff don't know what they are talking about.

Now of course there will be a scuff gate 2. People have to complain, even when they don't own the product.