Will O2 charge for mobile interent if i use iphone sim in another phone, like SE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kwfl, Jan 2, 2009.

1. kwfl macrumors 6502

I am not asking about the contracts and how would i be treated by O2 if i found using GPRS on another mobile phone.

I am asking those who tried it, Did you get charged for accessing internet by your iphone sim on another phone device like Blackberry or sonny erricson?

I have managed to set up GPRS by the following APN, mobile.o2.co.uk and it working fine.

I dont know about the money yet.

Thanks.

NB: I am using another phone device because the iPhone sucks as a phone.

2. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I don't understand why that would even be a question? if you're putting your o2 sim in another phone and set it up to use the o2 login information for data, of course they're going to charge you for it. who else would?

3. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

But the iphone contract includes free data usage.
    why it isnt free on the same sim but another device?

4. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

no it's still free, don't worry about that.

the data will still go through o2 and they'll "charge" you for it, but as it's included in your contract it'll be charged as 0 pounds.

5. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you making conclusions or you have tried this yourself?

I called O2 and they said you cant use it on another device. Now that i can, I am asking will i be charged for it.

I know, by common sense, since it is a contract, it does not matter what device i use it on. But with the iphone things are different. That is why am asking.

Thanks for your contribution fabian.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

When O2 say you can't use your SIM card in another device, they mean contractually, not physically. Whilst the iPhone SIM will certainly work in another phone, you run the risk of them charging you extra if they notice.

They may never charge you, or you could use it for months and then get charged but the simple fact is the iPhone Ts and Cs stipulate that the unlimited data is for connection from the iPhone (and no tethering, etc), so by putting the SIM in another device you are, strictly speaking, breaching the terms of the Contract and O2 could take action.

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

As said above, contractually you're not allowed - I doubt O2 have any way to effectively track you, but if they were to develop one you'd be liable to pay for any data use on your other phone.

Phazer

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

All mobile operators know whenever you connect what device you are using (from the IMEI number), so they certainly can track device usage. Whether they do or not, is another matter entirely

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Oh, I know it's technically possible. What I mean is that we don't know if the seperate systems talk to each other I order to effectively check.

I doubt it, given O2 just generally don't seem to have very good control over their network, but you never know when they could join things up in future.

Phazer

10. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all for you replies.

I think i will use it and monitor my online banking and see if i will get charged.
    I will use Sony Erricsson K800i and guess what, even if am charged, it will be nothing since K800i is not an internet device.

I just need it as a phone and long battery life where the iphone sucks in both areas.

When i go for a trip and wanna use the iphone, i will through the sim into it and that is gonna be it.

also, there is a possibility of sending cheap international sms through the wap service, the same as VOIP idea but for sms. The software does not work on the iphone obviously.

Thanks.

11. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

It's fine, I use probably up to 5 phones with the 1 sim card, just because they have different strengths. As far as I know I have tethered and used the iPhone sim in a SE P990 and it was downloading for my laptop (MacBook) and I haven't had any charges.

About that IMEI thing, although they can track it, my iPhone has been replaced many times anyways therefore a new IMEI.

12. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Since the O2 SIM that is included with the iPhone has unlimited browsing for 12 months (or it you're on contract, until the contract ends), I guess it wouldn't cost anything? :D

13. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Yeah basically the iPhone contract is basically a normal 18 month contract from O2, but instead of being able to choose which bolt on is free, you get 2 predetermined, the unlimited internet and free wifi access ones.

14. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Just a quick note that all iPhone IMEI's begin 011... All other IMEI's on UK mobile phones begin 35...