Will Obama remove the Patriot act?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Jan 21, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I wonder about this i was thinkin today after the big changes obama has done just on day one i wonder if obama would revoke the patriot act.as part of his speach he did talk about restoring the constitution and i think this is a big part of restoring it what do you guys think?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I think most people are over that by now, it's not a big deal, IMHO. I don't think it's a huge priority for Obama either.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

:eek:

Did she really just say that!?

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Hold up. What? Since when are the loss of our rights not a big deal?

In dystopian futures (stories) often the government doesn't take our rights by force. They make it seem that the removal of our rights is for our best interests and it's just that apathetic attitude that lets it happen.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think we've gotten accustomed to its intrusiveness but hopefully some of the most egregious abuses of it will be eliminated. The courts, as always, have begun to use it in ways it wasn't intended.

6. pooky macrumors 6502

I don't think Obama has the power to just remove it unilaterally; that would take an act of Congress. Of course, he has the power to encourage legislation through Congress, and also has the power to decline to sign any renewal of any portions of the act, but he can't just decide to make it go away one day.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yes, I did.
    And I have no doubt in my mind that that's where we're headed. But it's not really a loss of our rights, IMO. It may be a little invasion of privacy, but it's nothing that hasn't been done years before already. The difference is, now they're admitting it.
    This pretty sums up how I feel.

My main point is, it probably won't be repealed in the near future, as many people are unaware of it, forgotten about it, or otherwise gotten used to it.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Here's his official stance:

Protect Civil Liberties and Restore Habeas Corpus
    Obama opposed the Bush Administration’s warrantless wiretaps. As president, Obama would update the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) to prevent future threats to our nation and to the rule of law. Obama also supports a major revision of the PATRIOT Act to ensure that there is a real and robust oversight of the tools that help protect our country. Obama also would restore habeas corpus so that those who pose a danger are swiftly tried and brought to justice and those who do not have sufficient due process to ensure that we are not wrongfully denying them their liberty.

Link (PDF)

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

A little invasion of privacy? Seriously? How about a gross violation of your civil rights. Many parts of the PATRIOT Act have already been struck down by the courts and I hope they work their way through the whole thing.

Lethal

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

There is nothing patriotic about the patriot act, its simply a spying mechanism to allow govt to do anything it wants. Something the framers of the Constitution knew was wrong something Bush couldnt understand in his quest for a police state. Lets hope it ends up in the trash, Heck most of Congress never even read it before they voted for it. Another spin job by the republicans.

11. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Obama voted to renew the PATRIOT Act (as did McCain and Hillary). I seriously doubt he'll bother to remove it, since he managed to become president without anyone really mentioning it.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I doubt the Patriot Act will be totally removed. What I am hoping for is a modification that places more restrictions on wiretapping and makes the government and telecom companies more transparent and accountable.

The Patriot act in its current form is unacceptable. I'm hoping that Obama does at least put a stop to the actual implementation of the law, even if it remains on the books.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There are some provisions of the Act that are set to sunset in a year or two and hopefully we'll be far enough removed from the fear mongering that they won't get renewed.

Lethal

14. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

+1

My favorite line from Obama's Inauguration speech:
    "As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals."

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Begun to? The ink was barely dry when a weed (I think, he was small-time anyway) dealer was charged under it.
    Finally, a post of yours I can agree with! :D

16. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Glad we could agree on something... and I must say, I find it hard to believe that this is the sole occurrence where you agree with the constitution, with the general principles of personal liberty, personal responsibility, and with the free market. My views are not much more complex than that.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

However, of course, each one of those headlines begs a definition...

18. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I emailed Obama once on this very subject. I'm sure the response was an auto-response but nonetheless it said while he opposed certain parts of the patriot act he voted to renew it out of an abundance of caution and that he ( if elected ) would be reviewing it to see what could be changed.

And keep in mind folks Obama can't just write an executive order concerning the patriot act. It has to be done by congress.

19. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Didn't the supreme court rule that the wiretaps the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. act allowed were legal?

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Like many documents, the Constitution is open to interpretation.
    I wasn't aware it was an acronym, plus, the wiretaps were a different issue.

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

USA PATRIOT Act is short for Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001.

I wonder how long it took someone to come up w/that.

Lethal

22. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Considering how many bills and projects have pronouncable acronyms, I'm sure they have a guy they pay just for that! :p

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Good grief.

You say "potato", I say "take away all rights to due process".

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

you can bet on it ;)

around here we just make the laws ridiculous long in a single word
    like the Unternehmensrechtsänderungsgesetz