Will older SATA drive in MP slow down other drives or SATA bus?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sean Dempsey, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I'm going to have an open drive bay in my new MP, and I want to take an old SATA 80gig drive an install windows (parallels) on it. I am curious though if this drive will effect the other drives on the machine, it is one of the earliest SATA drives, so it doesn't have near the performance as modern ones.

I know they used to say on an IDE controllers, it only can run as fast as the slowest device, is that true with the macpro drives, or can I run this older drive without concern?

2. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

I would not waste the effort...
    the MacPro specs say SATA II, min 3gig transfer rate.

I just bought 400gig Seagate drives on sale at Frys for $79..

3. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

The WD RaptorX 150gig is not SATAII or 3gig transfer rate, its 1.5, but people still use it an it works.

Why do you not think it is worth the effort? I know hard drives are cheap, but a 400 gig drive just to install a little Windows XP partition for parallels is way overkill, especially when I have the 80gig drives just sitting here.

4. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

The answer is no: the older 80GB SATA drive will not slow down the other drives.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

No it will not slow down your other drives. The key difference between SATA and PATA is that SATA is designed specifically so that each device has its own bus so that they cannot affect each others transfer rates.