Will optical zoom ever come to the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by outsidethebox, Mar 22, 2013.

1. outsidethebox macrumors member

I always have digital zoom turned off because of the awful quality. Is there any specific reason why there still isn't optical zoom in the iPhone?

With a quick google search I've discovered several phones since 2009 which have had the feature. Since the camera is one of the iPhones biggest selling points and zooming is such an important feature in any situation, I'm really surprised it hasn't really even been talked about much.

2. iJustin63 macrumors newbie

I think optical zoom would be a great feature. I hope we see it in the near future :D

3. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Can you list these phones? The reason why optical zooms are not widespread yet is the mechanical requirements and limited space available on slim phones.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I will have to disagree with that.

I say iPhone's camara is there to be competitive but not the MAIN reason ppl choose an iPhone vs a competitor.

Now optical mean movable lens. The OZ I seen have a bulge to accommodate the extra mechanicals. Will Apple give u OZ in lieu of a slick casing?

A Sony? I remember seeing no bulge but they usen an internal right angle mechanism to deal with the physical focal lengh needed. Will Apple give out precious internal real estate for a future OZ camara?

5. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

The next iPhone will be so big you won't need a zoom on the camera.

6. 617aircav Suspended

Isnt the reason pretty obvious. OZ would require the phone to be thicker as its made up of movable parts. I doubt if it will be on any phone any time soon.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's possible that in the future, fluid based lenses will be able to provide optical zoom while using less space than current camera modules.

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

And when that future comes we'll have a shot at seeing optical zoom

9. ThatsMeRight, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Perhaps not the main reason, but I believe that for many people it's an important reason. If people have a hard time choosing between phone X and iPhone, then the camera might be the decisive factor.

10. AFDoc, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

I really have to laugh at people such as you OP. Do you have an idea what it takes to make a zoom lens? The phone would have to be pretty thick to accommodate such a lens and of course that would cause far more people to whine above not having zoom.

If you want tele lenses, buy a stand alone camera you'll be much happier with the results. IF you turn off the digi zoom, why would you want the crap zoom that would be placed into a phone?

11. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

There are telescopic lenses for the iPhone, some priced as cheap as $25

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

If the phone had optical zoom, and was in fact thicker in the camera region...why would that cause people to "whine about not having zoom"? I don't understand ur statement.

13. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I see you've been a member starting in 2011 so it leads me to believe you don't pay attention to these forums at all. Have you NOT seen the whining with every new release of the iPhone that's it's not thin enough? OR the "I want quad core, 500gig ram, 500gig space AND thin as paper.

Come on now, an iPhone with a "hump" to accommodate a zoom lense? Yeah right.

14. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I've seen many, many posts with people whining about how the new iPhone isn't good enough..etc, etc, etc. but ur statement says IF apple did incorporate an optical zoom, and was "bumped out" in the camera region..People would "whine" about NOT having zoom. But it WOULD have zoom in ur scenario. That's the whole point.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. No way would Apple include optical zoom.

16. seble macrumors 6502a

observe this camera: Sony TX5

[​IMG]

It is almost as slim as an old iphone say a 2G, it has no external moving parts, is tiny, and has an optical zoom. Yes it's probably not possible on the thinness that is the iP5, but it is possible!

17. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

18. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I don't think we'll see it soon but I also think if the can develop an optical zoom that adds minimal thickness to the overall design and Apple marketed it as revolutionary and incredibly ahead of its time, then I think the public would not only accept it but they would eat it up. I truly believe this.

19. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Pardon? The 2G was 11.6mm in depth. The Sony is 18mm - hardly thin!!

20. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

At this point in time we don't have the technology to put optical zoom on phones without making them significantly thicker. But I hope we can manage that relatively soon as digital zoom sucks.

21. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

One day we will see some awesome smarthphones cameras :)

22. Partridge macrumors 6502

It uses a prism folded zoom lens. The camera mechanism extends down the entire side of that camera using a prism to bend the light path at a right angle.

There is absolutely no way apple would do that and sacrifice volume that could be used for making the phone thinner or the battery lighter.

23. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Frankly am waiting for something even better. There is apparently a technology out there that, OK you took a blurry picture, but the system, having captured the raw photons and through whatever algorithm blah-blah, intelligently re-shapes the picture to makes it sharp.

Up to now, despite ever denser sensors, we are still constricted by physical lens, with all their limitations to do the focusing.

24. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

With Apple so obsessed with making the phone thin I doubt it. I see Android getting true optical zoom first. It's like the I.R. port. It's finally made a comeback on Android.